Chapter One: the runaway

I laid in my bed hoping this was all just a big nasty nightmare. I was hoping desperately that this wasn't the last day of packing before I had to leave for law school. But it was. I was leaving tomorrow, leaving to start a life I did not want to lead. I was desperate for anyway out. I grabbed a shirt and shoes so I could go to 711, and so I could keep avoiding packing for a little longer. I walked as quietly as I could not to disturb my parents, more importantly so they don't stop me from leaving. I made it out without being caught, and started down the short block to the store. I walked into the 711 and stated looking through it.
"Hey, Brendon!" I turned around and saw a slim girl with dark hair weaving like a crazy person. It was Sara. "Oh my god! How are you? It seems like forever since I've seen you!"
"Hey, Sara." I didn't mind Sara but she wasn't exciting or anything. She was just Sara, nothing more, nothing less.
"I was about to go to your house actually."
"What? Why? Wait did my parents invite you?" My parents were always trying to push us together. They even helped her get into the same school as me.
"Yeah they invited me over to help you finish packing. I finished a week ago so in happy to help." She smiled sipped her coffee.
"Okay then let's go."
"Aren't you going to buy anything?"
"Nope." I said and turned heading for her car.

We pulled up to my house a minute later, the car ride had been extremely awkward. It wasn't silent though, Sara hadn't stopped talking the whole time. We walked into my house, my parents welcomed us and hurried us into my room to start.
"Before we start can I use your restroom?" Sara asked putting her stuff down on my bed.
"Sure it's on the left." I laid back on my bed as a weave of panic washed over me. I was trapped. I was trapped in this shit life. As I laid there I knew there must be a way out. There just must be. I just had to leave, I could figure out later what I would do. But I just had to leave. I grabbed my clothes and anything I cared about and stuffed them into a duffle bag. Sara skipped back into my room and sound in the door way smiling.
"Where should we start?" She said looking around.
"Why don't you go down stairs and start putting stuff in the moving van and I'll met you down there," I said still stuffing stuff frantically into my bag.
"Are you okay Brendon? You look a little...panicked." She said stepping over to me and putting her hand on my shoulder.
"I'm fine!" I said pulling away and zipping up my bag. "Just go down stairs." She looked hurt and just stood starring at me. "Please?" She nodded and walked out. I quickly made my way to the kitchen and out into the garage. I jumped into my car and started it up. As the garage door slowly started to open the door into the kitchen swung open and my dad stepped out.
"Where the hell are you going?" He asked slamming his hands on the hood of my car. The garage door still wasn't all the way open. I was trapped I had no where to go. I made my first stupid choice right then, I backed right through the garage door. I heard a crash but I just kept driving. I heard my mom and Sara scream but I just kept driving. I heard my dad cuss at me but I just kept driving. I just kept driving until I was an hour away from my house. Then I stopped, I was lost. I didn't know what I was doing, or where I was going. I sat for a moment, where had I always wanted to go? I didn't know. My mom and dad had always been in control of me. I got out of my car and walked into a CVS.
"Hello, can I help you with something?" A small elderly woman asked me from behind the cash register.
"Yeah actually, do you guys sell maps?"
"Right there sir." She said pointing directly behind me.
"Thank you." I said smiling. I walked over and pulled out a map of the entire US. I opened it up and held it out I front of me.
"Where are you heading?" Asked the small women.
"I have no idea." I said still looking at the map. Then I got an idea and looked at her, "Where would you go? I mean if you could go anywhere in the whole country where would you go?"
"I'd go to North Caroline. I've got family down there, and it's beautiful."
"Alright then I'll buy this map and this gum. Because I know where I'm going. North Carolina here I come." So I got in my car drove to the bank, emptied all my money out of my accounts so my parents couldn't freeze my accounts, started my way from New York down to North Carolina.