Chapter 1

"Luna wake up, today is the day you leave the nest and spread your wings!" I could hear my mom telling me to wake up. I don't know how I felt about leaving my mom after my dad had past away a year ago. The thought of loosing my dad and leaving my mom brought tears to my eyes. All I could think of was my moms only child going off to college far from home. As I sat up in bed I cried quietly. I didn't want my mom thinking I wasn't ready to go off to college after loosing my dad, leaving her and ... And... Getting my heartbroken by the one I believed was the love of my life. I can still remember how everything happened. It was the day that should have been the best day of my life ...prom. I had gone with my boyfriend Jake. We had been dating since sophomore year everything was perfect. Or I believed it was. The day of prom he came to me and told me he was dumping me, he had found the true love of his life. That he did not love me. "Hey. Luna can we talk?"
"Yeah sure, what's wrong babe?" "Don't call me that..." As I heard him say "don't call me that" I knew something was wrong, I felt my stomach sink, I felt as if I was going to drop dead and start to cry until I died of dehydration. "Jake... What's wrong !? Why aren't you telling me!? Tell what's wrong!?" My voice was weak and shaky. "Luna, listen. I... I... I don't love you anymore. Matter of fact I don't think I ever did. I only liked the feeling of going out with the most hottest and most popular girl in school. I have found someone that I really love and want to start a life with. Listen don't take it personal. It's just the way things have to be. Goodbye Luna." I couldn't think straight. I felt as if someone had come, taken my heart and stepped all over it, braking it into a million pieces. As I saw jake walk away through my watery eyes, I saw him pull a girl close to him and kiss her the way he used to kiss. I couldn't tell who it was since the lights were low. I heard her say something. "Babe, did you do it? Can we finally be official without that ugly hoe getting in between us?" Her voice sounded so familiar someone's voice I have heard all my life. "Of course we are official, C'mon all I want right now is you" he leaned down and kissed her with such passion. Then it hit me. I knew exactly who it was. It was ... My beast friend... I couldn't help but run to the restroom and throw myself to the floor, I couldn't stop the tears from falling. I couldn't believe it my whole world had fall apart right in front of me. As I cried I heard someone calling for me "LUNA!" It was the guy that I loved as my brother, Matt. "Luna look at me" he said as he picked me up from the floor and held me close to his chest. All I could do was cry. "Luna please look at me, tell me what's wrong. Tell me who did this to you! Tell me!" I looked at him still crying. "Ja-ke. Jake." I started to cry even more  just by thinking about his name. "It's okay Luna, I'm here now. I'll be right back." All I saw was Matt leave. I had to know what he was going to do so I followed him. As I tried to go through the group of teenagers I had a glance of Matt. Everything happened so fast. Matt had punched Jake in the face leaving him on the floor with a bloody nose. I saw him walking towards me. "C'mon Luna, I'll take you home, if you want I can stay over?" His voice was soft full of love. "Ye-ah. Thank you." Matt had always had a crush on me since freshman year, but I could never see him been more than my brother, he was like the brother I have always wanted. And I guess he knew that, it made me feel bad. "Anything for you princess, anything for you" Matt took me home that night he hugged me tight until I fell asleep. I felt safe. I sat in bed been lost in the past, I didn't notice my mom was standing in front of me. "Luna, baby are you okay?" My moms voice always made my heart soften up. "Yes mom." I looked at her not with the soft eyes I used to have before hake had torn my heart apart, but with eyes that showed pain. "Baby, are you ready for your first day of college? Is it to early for you? Do you want to maybe wait another year? I don't want you to leave me." "Mom I'm ready." I stood up hugged and kissed my mom on the cheek. "Te amo Mamá" (I love you mom) "yo tambien te amo" (I love you too) I gave mom one last hug and went down stairs. She followed me. I had one more last look of where I had grown up. I looked at mom as she started to cry. "Mom it's okay, I love you okay. I will come to visit you every weekend and every break I get, I promise" I kissed her and hugged her one last time. "Goodbye my little Luna I love you" I walked out , got in my car and drove off. I did not turn back, I couldn't, I had to leave the little town I had grown up, the town where I realized life isn't a fairytale. As I left the small little town behind I thought of Harvard University, where I will start I a. chapter of my life leaving all the painful past behind.