Chapter Four

As soon as I opened the door not only did my heart start racing but my knees went weak. My palms began to sweat, I felt as if I was in the presence of a super model. "Hi, I'm Marilyn and this is Carter." His mom held out her hand and I shook it politely. "Nice to meet you, I'm Violet." I said and he smirked. "Like the flower?" He asked and his voice was soothing, like a Lana Del Rey song. "Yeah, like the flower." I said and he laughed slightly. "Cool, well like she said, I'm Carter." He said and held out his hand, which I calmly took. He brought it up to his lips and kissed it. I felt a rush. My mom walked out, she was wearing a yellow maxi dress and she straightened her hair. She looked beautiful. She spoke with Marilyn, after introducing herself to Carter, who just shook her hand like a normal person. Carter stood there in front of me and I tried not to say something stupid. He looked hot. His hair was messy, but cute. He was wearing a blue button down and black slacks. We were matching almost. Even the black vans. "Hey, Vi, we're matching." He said once again laughing, and I laughed with him. "Wow, looks like we are Carter." I said and led him into the kitchen where my mom and Marilyn were setting up. There was salad and chicken and potatoes, among other things. "Oh hey guys." Marilyn said with a smile and I said "hi." All quietly. I sounded like a mouse. Carter pulled out the chair for me and I sat down, he sat next to me. I could feel my mom's eyes burning into the back of my head. "Drinks?" She asked and I wanted to make a joke but I knew she'd get mad, so I just asked for raspberry tea, Carter asked for water. Once everyone was seated we began to eat, and so the dinner conversation started. "So Vi, you'll be a junior?" Marilyn asked and I nodded my head. "You'll be in school with Carter?" She asked. "Yeah." I said and she started talking about how he was going to be a senior and how she was happy that her baby was growing up. I caught him blushing. "Mom, stop." He said. I wanted to laugh but held back. We finished eating, and his leg was shaking under the table. "Want to walk around town with me?" He asked and I nodded. We stood up. "Where are you going?" Both of our mother's asked. "I'm going to show her around town, if that's okay." I saw my mom hesitate but then her shoulders dropped. "Don't be out too long and be safe." She said and Marilyn just nodded in agreement to what she said. We walked out the front door. "Violet, where would you like to go?" He asked and I shrugged. "You're the guide." I said and he just smiled. "Alright, but I'm warning you." He said and grabbed my hand. I was about to question him, but decided not to. "You're not cold are you?" He asked and I shivered a bit. We were right outside his house. "Well, I'll grab you a jacket." He said and led me inside his house. He pulled out a green jacket and put it on me. "It makes your eyes pop." He said and I blushed. He grabbed my hand again and we walked down the block. "Tonight Violet, I'm going to show you the best parts of a shit town." He said and I laughed. "I can't wait." I said.