Chapter 24

Morning couldn't have come quick enough. Once I woke up, I took a shower, put on the cologne that Halie would know and remember. I got downstairs to see Anthony crying on the phone. My heart fell to my feet, curious about what he'd heard.

"What am I going to tell Ian? It's going to hurt him." I shook my head and quickly and quietly ran upstairs. I shakily picked up our home phone and listened in.

"Just get to Sinai Allegiant. Both of you. ASAP."

The receiver clicked and the dial tone rang through my ears. I put the phone down and made my way down to the landing, looking down on Anthony. He sat on the couch and cried. I made myself noticed and took a shaky deep breath. "Anthony..." I said, trying to keep my voice from breaking. He looked up at me, eyes and face red. "What's wrong with Halie and why are we going to the hospital?" He shook his head. I began to make my way downstairs quickly. I rose my voice, panicking. "Anthony, what the fuck is wrong with my daughter?" I said. He stood up and grabbed me. "Let go of me and tell me what's going on!" I yelled.

Anthony let go and looked down. He took my hand and gave it a reaffirming grip. It just made me even more uneasy. "The Social Worker... She was bringing her home to us. The car's right axel popped out of socket and brought them to a complete stop on Highway 11. An 18-wheeler was coming..."

My eyes widened, my heat rising behind my eyes as I shook my head in doubt. "No... Oh my God, no." I slowly felt myself lowering to the ground. Anthony came with me holding me.

"When an ambulance came, they left without their lights and sirens on." I shook my head bawling my eyes out. "They were in no hurry to get to Sinai. They were both pronounced... 6:56 am."

I gasped out, crying. My tears ran cold down my neck. Anthony and I were kneeling on the floor. "My baby... Anthony... Please tell me this isn't true. This isn't how this was supposed to happen!" I cried. Anthony sat down and held me in his lap as I continued to sob on the floor. I couldn't control it. All of a sudden things started to fade out to white.