Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

“Are you... um.... stalking me?”

“What?” Eric asked. He had imagined a lot of responses but this sure as hell wasn’t one of them.

“I said, are you stalking me? You should know that I have 911 on speed dial.” Nicole said impatiently.

“No. I’m your new neighbour.” Eric grinned.

The building - if that’s what you would call this structure with just three condos - manager who owned the single condo on the ground floor told him he couldn’t enter unless he owned one condo or knew someone in one of the condos. At that moment Eric decided he might as well kill two birds with one stone - buy himself a residence and... and what? Get to know Nicole? He wasn’t sure why he wanted to see her so bad but he knew he had to, so he just bought the one available condo.

“Yeah, I heard you the first time. I’m not the deaf one here.” She snapped.

What is her problem? Eric wondered.

“Um... So I guess we will be seeing each other a lot, Nicole or should I call you Ms. Logan?” Eric tried to lighten the mood up.

“How do you know my name?” When he didn’t answer she took out her phone, “That’s it, I’m calling the cops.”

“Okay, okay! No don’t! Let me explain!” Nicole slowly put her phone away and stared at him expectantly. “Georgia Peck told me.”

She lowered her hand, “That woman really ought to mind her own business.” Nicole sounded annoyed.

“But I’ve actually been looking for a condo, so the fact that I happened to find this one, across yours was just a coincidence - a lucky one, I realize.” Eric hoped she would believe him.

No such luck. “Sure, don’t even tell me the truth because I couldn’t care less.” Nicole turned towards the stairs and unlocked the door leading to the ground floor. It was usually unlocked, which Eric didn't know since the manager had instructed him to keep it locked at all times. I mean, what was the point of so much security? Even the front door the whole building was always locked.

Los Angeles isn’t that dangerous. Why would she buy a condo here?

Eric groaned in frustration, nothing was going right. He was so struck by her attitude that he was left speechless. After thirty seconds Eric decided he wouldn’t give up and he ran after her.

“Get out of the way!” A man shouted shouted when he bumped into Eric.

The minute Eric stepped out of the building he ran into a huge crowd. People walking all over the place. He’d completely discarded the fact that it was rush hour. He felt like he was in New York! He looked around and finally spotted Nicole walking far ahead.

“Nicole! Nicole! Wait!” She couldn’t hear him. He would just have to follow her. Yes, follow - not stalk - although he knew she wouldn’t see the difference.