Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“A dagger.”

“Smart boy you have here, little girl.” Adone said sarcastically. Eric hadn’t realized that he had spoken aloud till then.

“It is the family crest. You know, the family.” Nicole explained, she seemed freakishly calm for someone who just saw first, a man who was like her father and the,n her childhood friend get shot.

“Oh. Right.” Eric didn’t trust himself to say more, he needed to maintain the same calm as Nicole. He had also watched two people get killed.

Suddenly, Adone ripped Nicole’s shirt off, she stood there in a black lace bra, her expression angry. She did not protest though. She knew better. She also knew exactly why he did it.

“I see you have done nothing about it.” Adone said, observing her back.

“What the hell? She is your granddaughter, man!” Eric yelled, punching Adone who fell backward, stunned. Eric kicked him and started to punch him continuously. He pushed him into the board on which Nicole usually wrote. He punched him once more. “You’re so sick!”

“I - umph - wasn’t going to do - umph - what you thought! I just - umph- wanted to see the gift I gave her for her birthday less than a decade ago.” Adone said, his face bruised and battered yet containing a smirk that made Eric punch him again. He turned to see Nicole slowly picking up her shirt and buttoning it up, the first few buttons had come off though.

Eric caught a glimpse of a long crescent shaped scar on her back and a look of pain crossed his face, it seemed like it had been a deep cut. It bulged for some reason, like the skin was carved out a bit. He felt tears threaten to come out. No way, keep it in, Eric!

“It was deep.” Adone said, as if he was reading Eric’s mind, “When I went to her house that night to ask her father to give her up to me for training, I heard her parents talking about getting out. Her brother, Natalino, that fool, wanted them to have a better life. Nicoletta sat silent.”

“That’s because I had no objections. I wanted to leave. Could you blame me? You’re a monster! The way you terrorized Nate was horrible.” Nicole screamed.

“Yes, whatever it may be, she tried to fight me after I entered and threatened her parents. I shot her brother first, he was the weakest of the three. Always trying to get out, always listening to some music and playing that stupido instrument with strings, I forget what the name is.”

“Guitar.” Nicole murmured, the memory brought a faint smile to her lips.

“Yes, he wanted to be a musician, debole! How could he even think of it? He was going to be the second in command to her.” He pointed at Nicole.

“In retrospect, it was actually a good thing since the boy was a weakling! Look at where it brought us.” Adone added with a snort.