Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“The first of December is tomorrow?” Nicole asked.

“Yes, it is Nicole.” Ed said calmly. He looked at his watch, “I had better leave now Nicole. My time is up. Take care, kiddo. I had to see you one last time.”

Tears sprang into Nicole’s eyes, “If I didn’t know better, I would have tried to protect you. I have let my guard down too much this time. If I wasn’t in the hospital, I would have remembered. Tom’s warning would have made more sense.”

“He did remind you, but?” Ed asked.

“Yes, but it didn’t hit me that it was tomorrow. I’m sorry.” Nicole grabbed his hand. “I love you, Ed. You were always my second father.”

“I know, Nikki. I know.” His face suddenly lit up, “I forgot to give this to you. It belonged to your parents. They wanted you to have it, on this day when I...” Ed’s voiced trailed off as he slowly pulled out a silver chain that was around his neck. He unclasped it and revealed a small silver dagger pendant. She saw what was carved on the back of the blade and tears came into her eyes. Ed smiled and pulled her hair out of the way and clasped the chain onto her neck.

“Grazzie mille.” Nicole said, looking up at Ed.

“Siete i benvenuti, cari.” Ed replied. He stared at Nicole with meaningful eyes and she stared back with a reflection of his expression.

They both snapped out of the strange trance they were in when Eric coughed.

“What language was that in?” Eric asked. He had stood there, awkwardly watching the exchange between the two of them. He didn’t know what to do and he was dying to ask a million questions.

“Italian.” Ed replied quietly.

Before Eric could ask more questions, Ed cut him off, “Arrivederci. Ti amo bambino.” With that, he left.

After Ed shut the door behind him, there was silence for a few minutes.

“Nicole?”

“Shh. Don’t talk, Eric.” Nicole snapped. She walked outside the condo, down the steps, till the front door of the building, not noticing that Eric was right behind her. She clutched the chain she now wore, in her hand. Her body was frozen, it seemed like she wasn’t even breathing.

Nicole opened the front door a crack and stared out into the street. They were hit by the loud noise of traffic and people chattering. Nicole stared at Ed who walked on the sidewalk, his body rigid and slow. Suddenly a black Mercedes passed by and the front window rolled down, a man wearing a mask pulled out a gun and shot Ed in the face.

“Oh, my God!” Eric yelled and Nicole clamped his mouth with her hand and shook her head, her eyes wild. She was pleading him not to talk, he could see that. But why?

Eric couldn’t move, Nicole wouldn’t allow him. Damn! She was strong! He silently watched the man drag Ed’s body into the car quickly and speed off. No one really noticed, how could they not notice? It felt like hours but Eric was aware that it took only seconds in real time.

“Nicole! Call the police! Now! Write down the plate number of that Mercedes!” Eric was surprised his voice even worked, he was still in shock from what he had witnessed. He looked out, the car was gone. Where did it go?

“No. Eric, no. Please, no.” Nicole said softly, her voice firm. She dragged him up to his - no, their condo and shut the door behind her.

“Nicole, what the hell is going on? You have to start being honest with me!” Eric yelled. Nicole flinched and he immediately regretted it. “I’m sorry. I just witnessed a man being killed. How are you so calm? We have to call the police. Now. Shit!”