Chapter 6 - Hess

Jess stopped talking and studied my expression with care. I was just amazed, trying to process what she just told me. Harry's parents were shot, innocent people shot. SHOT.

"Can I go on?" Jess asked me carefully.

"Yes, yes, sorry." I mumbled and tried to concentrate as much as possible on what she was about to say.

"I can't tell you anything after his parents' funerals because he never spoke to me again. Well, he did, but he was always cold and cruel and mean. But before that unfortunate day, he was the loveliest person I've ever met. You know, I was his first girlfriend ever, we lasted 3 years together." she smiled looking at her hands.

Wow, 3 years? That must've been really beautiful then, I can see that in the way she smiles, like she loved those times.

"We met in the second year of high school, at some kind of prom. I still remember he came with a few friends and he looked so lovely and innocent... I freshly broke up with my first boyfriend and I wasn't really in a great mood but I was at the party because it was important to my best friend. He was wearing dark jeans, a white shirt and a black blazer and his hair was longer than it is now and more ruffled. He made me smile the second I saw him because he stumbled over some sound cables." she giggled.

My God, she was so into this, she was now back there with him, at that prom.

I was trying to picture a younger, more innocent Jess and a younger and innocent Harry-which is quite impossible since now he's such an ass- in a pretty room decorated with flowers and balloons and filled with boys and girls dancing slowly... I think that the younger Jess and Harry would've fitted perfectly there. And I can imagine them dancing together...

"He invited me to dance later and he was such a clumsy guy... But I ignored that and tried to focus on him. It was a lovely night, he made me smile and forget about my bad mood. We became friends and talked a lot after that prom, so much that we knew each other better than anyone. And then, 2 weeks later, he asked me out. It was the best date I've ever had, the most romantic one. He took me out to a little meadow and we danced to cute songs and..." she stopped, letting out a small, sad laugh.

"I'm kinda making it way too long. Anyway, we grew up, and now we're a few months away from finishing high school. We were done with another day of school and went for a coffee at a little coffee shop we used to love. We were talking about college and our plans for future when his phone rang and he answered it confused; his aunt was now calling him. And his aunt never calls. His face dropped within seconds and I knew that something was wrong. All he said was: 'My parents were shot. They're dead.' and I was perplexed. I followed him blindly to the hospital, my mind spinning, not wanting to know how he felt.

He didn't say a word all the way to the hospital where his only words were 'where are my parents'. But... They weren't in any room there, they weren't connected to any machines, and their life didn't depend on any medicine... They were peacefully laid on cold beds in the morgue. Harry froze when he heard where his amazing parents were now resting after a long day of work. But he quickly recovered and almost ran to the morgue, on the other side of the hospital. I followed him inside the morgue where a lady asked for our names.

She nearly didn't let me in but Harry said I was close to him. Then she led us to a room, she pulled out two hospital beds with two corpses covered with white sheets. I knew that if I was going to stay and watch, I'd probably break down, so I ran out of the room as fast as I could. I knew Harry would break down, I knew he would... And I had to be strong for him, I couldn’t break along with him, I had to stay strong." she spoke and a couple of tears rolled down her cheeks.

I must say that I was completely moved myself, I can't imagine what could be in her heart.

"Hey, you don't have to keep going if you don't want to, it's ok, Jess." I smiled to her and caressed her forearm.