Chapter 15: Confusion and Caution

            We sat giggling on the bed, slightly out of breath and dropping the pillows on the floor. It happened quite suddenly and unexpected; the feeling of tiredness and I let my body relax.

            Now lying on my back on the bed, with my legs over the side, I fell silent as Jan still sat next to me. Although, when I opened my eyes, things turned suddenly awkward. She was leaning over me with a subtle, yet hinting, look in her gaze.

            ‘Jan, what are you doing?’ I asked, trying to sit up but I suddenly went a bit tense. She raised her eyebrows and giggled which made me even more confused.

            It all happened a bit quickly. I couldn’t completely recall what really occurred except that one second I was lying there and the next I was standing up shouting something and then stormed out of her room. There was a moment when I felt my cheeks heat up but whether it was from anger or humiliation, I didn’t know. I headed right out of the dorms and stomped down the stairs. People might have stared but that was not a concern to me.

            Once I was outside, my hair blowing in front of my face due to the wind, I shouted as loud as I could. It wasn’t long until I got a reply. Roaring as he came down, flapping his wings hard, Frain landed nearby. ‘You called?’ I just glared at the ground with a stone hard stare. ‘What happened?’

            Silently, I raised my eyes and stepped over to him; it wasn’t until I was safely under his head that I spoke. ‘Nothing. You wouldn’t understand, Frain. I think it would be a good idea if we leave, for as long as it feels right.’

            He pushed his head down past my shoulder and looked at me with a solemn one-eyed stare. ‘Is that what you really want?’ he slowly asked.

            ‘Yes,’ I sighed. ‘Though I don’t want to make you leave.’

            ‘You know I will always stay with you. Come on.’ And I hopped onto his back for him to fly us to my house.

            He landed on the roof so I had to slide down the tiles and onto the ground. I needed to grab my stuff and pack it swiftly but that wasn’t going to happen without bumping into Doran. Sure enough he was stood in the hallway, putting something in the cupboard, when I walked in.

            ‘Hello,’ he said. My response was just to scowl at him in an upset manner and head upstairs. He followed me up. ‘Carly? Carly, what’s wrong?’

            Before I walked into my room, I stood with my back to him and my hand on the handle. ‘I don’t want to talk.’ And then I walked in and shut the door. If he would wait outside, I couldn’t guess but I expected he would want an explanation.

            It was strange, after getting here in a few seconds, I was no longer in the mood to rush. I took all my clothes and laid them folded on the bed. Once they were all there, I stuffed them into my various bags that I had slid under my bed. The book and my map were packed on top in the largest one. Now that was all done, I sat on the edge of my bed and took a few long, deep breaths; I forced my mind to forget what had just happened. Standing up, I grabbed my bags and headed back onto the landing.

            Doran had waited outside and he looked very concerned which mixed in with a shocked expression when he noticed I had packed my stuff. ‘Carly, what are you doing?’

            ‘I just need some space,’ I told him. ‘And before you ask, it isn’t about you. I’d stay but I just need to get out a bit more.’