Chapter 22: Awkward Moments

            ‘It really isn’t that funny,’ he complained as I let my giggles heard now we were outside.

            ‘Well it is to me. Hehe, sorry. Anyway, where are you taking me?’ I asked, feeling a lot more eager now I had sorted out one thing that day.

            ‘It’s not as impressive as you might be thinking. And it was kind of a spur of the moment idea,’ he explained as we strolled down the street. ‘I’m probably going to have a bump there tomorrow.’

            Rolling my eyes, I pulled his hand off his head. ‘Stop worrying about your head. I’m sure you’ll still have enough brain cells left to operate.’ He looked at me like I was insane. ‘Hmm, anyway, it’s not like you’re bleeding so don’t over exaggerate,’ I complained, flying my hands around in front of me.

            ‘Yes, I guess that’s a good thing.’ He went to rub his head again but I pulled it away just as I had done the first time. He smirked. ‘I was hoping you’d do that again. Come on.’ He curled his fingers round and slipped them between mine.

            Dinner turned out to be a corner window table in a small half restaurant, half tavern; it wasn’t all that big but it was busy. I had never seen this place before as it wasn’t on a street I had been down in all my time here. The night went by slower than I secretly wanted but I did have fun. I couldn’t recall what we ate though I remember it being meaty and there was the strangest mix of herbs and spices; it was really nice no matter what it tasted like. We had a few drinks as well and I could have sworn it was mead so I sipped at the honey flavoured liquid.

            Seb, however, had gone through his drinks quite effectively and I was having a good job keeping him walking in a straight line. Eventually, I became tired and I sat him on a step outside a building and sat beside him; after all, he was taller and bigger than me so I used too much energy lugging him around.

            He coughed and then looked at me. ‘Ahem, sorry I’m a pain.’ That was all he said.

            ‘Don’t worry about it, my brother came home drunk plenty of times and woke me up. I’m used to dealing with a drunken guy.’ More giggling but this time shared between us. I suddenly shivered as a gust of wind washed over where we sat. ‘We should maybe get inside,’ I suggested, wrapping my arms around my chest.

            As warm as his gesture was, having his arm around my shoulders was slightly too awkward for the occasion. ‘Yeh, we should.’ He stood up, so much easier than I was expecting. Feeling very misled, I stood up as well but I didn’t storm off like I probably would have done any other time. ‘You look cold.’

            ‘You think?’ I pointed as I stood there almost completely shivering, even the hairs on my arms were stood on end. ‘The sooner we get in, the sooner you can warm me up.’ That didn’t unwillingly slip out as I knew he might have wanted to hear something along those lines.

            ‘Sounds like a plan. We aren’t far now.’ He started walking off towards his dad’s place though slightly wobbly still.

            We got to his front door and he swore instantly realising he hadn’t brought the spare key with him; I, however, had had that planned before we even left the bar. I coughed nonchalantly and stepped in front of him with the little brass key held between my finger and thumb.