Chapter 30: Interfering

            Later that day, I was taken back to the first time that I was in these hills. I met Ebra again along with his marvellous dragon, Zika. Zika didn’t stick around for very long which was completely understandable. Ebra asked how I had been and what I’d been up to. I answered his questions and more besides; it seemed alright that I did that whilst I was here. Maybe he and the others could help or maybe investigate on the side lines though I highly doubted.

            ‘Black you say?’ Ebra asked. ‘This might not sound right but Torrin has been missing for awhile’ He pondered for a moment. ‘Yet, even he knows the risks of flying that far; if he did he would have flown high enough in the air that no one would spot him. He is the oldest dragon alive after all, he has seen a lot in his long years.’

            ‘It could be black. It was a very dark coloured dragon,’ I explained a little more clearly. ‘I did think of Torrin but it was nowhere near the size he is. And there’s another thing.’

            Ebra was sat on his rocky perch at the base of one of the hills. ‘What is that?’

            Closing my eyes, I thought back on the night Frain showed me the mysterious dragon. ‘Torrin has grey flecks and his spines are that pearly colour. This one had... neither of them.’

            Ebra’s eyebrows furrowed and he didn’t look at all happy with me saying that. ‘Are you sure?’

            ‘Yes, I watched it as closely as I could even with it being at night. It was like a perfectly black shadow.’

            Ebra didn’t say anymore, he just sat there with a frown and a thoughtful look in his eyes. Frain had disappeared and leaving Ebra with his thoughts, I wandered around the many hills. They were rather hot piles of rock; almost like piles of slate but the rocks were different shades and colours. Most of them were that slate grey though it was hard to tell from not picking a slab up if it really was slate.

            Just rounding the base of yet another hill, I saw that there were a couple of the dragons that hadn’t gone on some journey. Looking at their colours, I reminded myself of their names; it was Alba and Gera. They weren’t talking or so I assumed. Alba was laid out on the grass just as any dragon does whilst Gera was stood on all four legs. It was very miraculous, seeing them again but my imagination hadn’t given them any respect. They were so much bigger than what I could see in my mind.

            Swinging her head round, Alba gazed at me with a solemn expression. The rustle of her wings sounded on the air and it resembled the rush of leaves being brushed over concrete. ‘Hello, Carly. It has been a long time.’

            It hadn’t been all that long for me yet they had a different perspective on time. ‘Yes, it has.’ I didn’t sound too convinced on that fact. ‘How have you been?’

            My question was pointed at Alba but these elder dragons understood each other hell of a lot more than Frain would with any others around his age. Gera turned to me and having not spoken to him before, I found his voice very soothing and it was very deep but not compared to Torrin’s. ‘We have been well, thank you. There are no problems happening in the world and that leaves us with not much to do other than fly, hunt, eat and sleep.’

            I shifted my eyes. ‘That might soon change, Gera.’

            He unfurled his wings but soon coiled them back into his sides as he dropped onto his forelegs. ‘Yes, you might be right. Frain spoke to Torrin and I happened to be there when he did.’