Chapter 17- The Return

3 years later...

Killian's POV
I bend down next to Captain and stroke  his white and black fur.

'This is all I have left of her'

I notice that I'm out of cat food while petting. Captain so I run out to the store.

I drive over to the mini mart not to far from the school I graduated last year.

After Emma left it was hard to finish without her beautiful smile coaching me through but I did end up graduating.

Every day I think of her and how much I hate that I love her.

She didn't even come to her daughters own funeral.

I pull in and walk through the aisles searching aimlessly.

'She was always better at this.'

My thoughts are interrupted when I bump into a small woman.

"I'm sorry Love I wasn't lookin-"

I stop dead mid sentence looking at the girl I front of me.

"E-Emma?" I stand in disbelief millions of emotions flooding my system..

Hate

Love

Desperation

But I'm nearly knocked off my feet when she bolts in the other direction.

I immediately follow after her running as fast as my feet can take me.

'I'm not losing her again'

I finally catch up to her grabbing her not letting her run any further.

"Killian let me go!" She says while thrashing her small body around.

"You're not going anywhere until I get some answers!" I hiss.

She rubs her temple and nods. "Let's go somewhere quiet."

We pull up to the pond where we went on countless dates and walk slowly to the edge of the pond and sit awkwardly next to each other.

It all seems so foreign yet familiar.

She sits looking at me but never fully making eye contact.

I grab her face every so gently and look her dead in the eye "please tell me everything"

She sighs and gives up "A lot, after the baby died I couldn't take it anymore and I did what I did best run away." She says it in a almost flat tone.

"You could've at least went to the funeral" I reply harshly.

She looks down in shame "I'm sorry" she sniffles obviously trying to hold back evident tears.

I take her in my arms and we sit for awhile before I break the silence again.

"Did you ever finish college?"

"Yeah I went to a community college up in Vermont were I live."

I nod "Why were you back down here?"

She looks down "Uh nothing I come around this time of year generally.. To see how things are.

I see her blush slightly in the darkness of the night.