Little White Lies

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I run into our apartment, throwing my bag and hat on the ground

"Look, I can explain.." Joey jumps up from the couch, walking up to me. He pushes his hair back and adjusts his reading glasses.

"You visit me at work, knowing I'm extremely busy, you try to start a fight with one of my patients, you didn't even warn me you were going to visit, and not only that but you ruined Dan's day! Sure, that might not matter to you, but if he's in this place it's probably because his mental health isn't good, so because of your random appearance and outburst, he's probably going to be angry for the rest of the week; and guess who has to put up with that? Not you, ME. So what is there to explain if you obviously just wanted to start up something with him?" I raise my voice, each sentence attached with angry hand gestures.

"I'm trying to protect you, Bell. I don't think you understand how much you mean to me and how evil Dan is. My intentions weren't to hurt you or frustrate you, my true intentions are to protect you and warn Dan about what and who he's messing with," he looks down to his socks, letting his glasses slip down his nose a bit.

"Why do you care so much Joey? He's a patient of mine, not a stranger I met at the club!" I sigh in exhaustion. I wouldn't have ever thought having a job like this could effect my roommate.

"Maybe I care because I still have feelings for you!" He yells, sighs, then rubs his temples with both his index and middle finger.

"Joey... Please don't, not now, please..." I look down, cursing myself out mentally. So much is happening right now, I don't think I could bare anymore stress.

The empty yet filled room became eery each second that flew by. Our eyes laying on every sight, but ourselves. I slowly picked my things up and walked to my room, locking the door. I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, got into a raggedy Iron Maiden shirt and some black boxers.

By the time I laid down on my bed with my book open, there was a knock on my door. I hummed as a response, letting my flatmate open the door and letting himself in.

"Bells...?" Joey looks down, slowly closing my door.

"Yes?" I keep complete eye contact with my book rather than Joey.

He lets out a long sigh, I hear him getting closer to the edge of my bed.

"Please, put the book down and listen to me," he sits down on the edge of the bed, his body near my face.

I sigh, sitting up straight, and placing my book on my side table.

"Yes, Joey?" I turn my head, facing him, placing my knees up to my chest as I sit on my bed.

"I wanna apologize, for real this time. Look, I know things have been rough ever since you got your new job. I wanna say I'm sorry for not telling you about my old friendship with Dan. I'm still the same Joey you became friends with since a child. I promise I won't intrude you or Dan at work and I hope we can forget this ever happened. Sometimes I just get so caught up with my feelings, I have to remember, you're not mine anymore," and with that he lets out a long sigh, scratching the back of his head.

I studied him for a good minute before wanting to say anything. I can understand why Joey acts so worried all the time now, I just didn't expect him to still be infatuated with me since the incident at uni.

He pushed back his glasses, waiting for my response. I pull a couple of strands of hair behind my ear and look down at my sock covered feet. My eyes meet back at his face, which was washed out with pure anxiety.

"I forgive you," I say, still eyeing him.

"Thank you," he opens his arms out for a hug.

I change my body position, and enter his path for a hug. My arms wrap around his chest and my chin rests on his shoulder.

"Bell?" He calls out softly.

"Yes, Joey?" I let go of him, adjusting myself to sit closer to him.

"How do you feel about me?" The words seem to slip out of his mouth easily.

"I-I don't know... I thought after our break up we would just stay as best friends," I answer truthfully.

In all honesty as much as it sweetened me, I can't see myself ever being infatuated with him as before. It broke my heart a bit to know that he hasn't moved on, yet I have. It's an uneasy feeling, especially for your best flatmate.

"Well, how about a date- not now, of course, but maybe sometime you're not busy? Maybe, you can figure out your feelings after one date, and if you still feel the same after, then we can forget it ever happened?" His smile becomes shy, he scratches the side of his mouth with his index finger, exposing a sliver ring I've never seen before, with some type of dont engraved into it. It was certainly written in a different language; one I didn't know how to translate.

I decide to give him this one date, to keep him at ease about everything. I know I'm most likely not gonna want another, but I'll do it to make my best friend happy and to heal our friendship just a bit.

I let out a little sigh through my nose, nodding my head, "of course."

A smile peaks through him, "okay, awesome. I'll leave you alone and go to bed now, Goodnight Bella," he gets up, wiping the fronts of his pants.

"Goodnight Joe," A sly smile perks on my face as he leaves my room, closing the door behind him.

I lay down, covering myself with my bedsheets, and turning off the lamp besides me. I make sure my phone alarm was on for tomorrow morning, and rest my head against my pillow.

I can already tell this week is going to bring out more than just a demon out of me.

— Hey everyone! I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been extremely busy with my school work, but due to the fact school is ending very soon for me, I'll be updating more often now! Thank you for everyone who wanted me to update, I didn't expect people to want to read more but after seeing I reached 3k on this story, I'm so grateful! Thanks everyone, love you all! - Dumbpickle.