Chapter eight

Chapter eight

By the time it was lunch, Calvin had left us. Eddie's grill ha called him in for the lunch rush hour. "So happy he's gone," Jake muttered.

"He's not that bad," Nicolas said.

"Are you kidding me? Of course he is," Jake said.

"No he isn't. He could be worse," Nicolas said hopefully.

"Just be happy Malcolm isn't here. He'd kill you for saying that," Leo said.

"Anyone want to tell me why he's so bad?" I asked. I was pretty sure they had forgotten I was there until now.

"Come on, were going to lunch," Leo said, turning right.

"Where?" Jake asked.

"Double A's."

Double A's was an old timey sixties dinner with a jute box in the corner, tile floors, and red and white booths.

"Jake!" A girl with shoulder length curly light brown almost golden hair, green eyes, and tan skin called out. She was wearing short-shorts, and a red and white Double A's T- shirt, and many bracelets.

"Hey Aves," Jake said giving her a hug. "Hi!" She said enthusiastically turning to me, "you must be Leo's girlfriend."

Leo's face turned bright red.

"Uh . . .," I trailed off.

"She's not my girlfriend, Avery. That's Rory, the best friend. You must have gotten her confused with someone else," Leo said looking anywhere but my face.

"Oh, Rory! Right, I think I did get you confused," she said, slightly confused. Nicolas cleared his throat. "So, Aves, you've obviously meet Rory. Rory, this is Avery Cunnings, her dad owns Double A's," Nicolas said.

"Oh. So why is it called Double A's?" I asked.

"My dad name it after my sister and me because our names both begin with A's. Her's is Annalise."

"That's coolu

"So what can I get you guys?" She asked, "After all, I'm still working."

"Give her the Famous Double A milkshake," Leo commanded.

"Alright, you guys can pick a seat and I'll be out," Avery said walking off.

We picked a booth by the back near the jute box. I sat next to Leo and jake and Nicolas sat on the other side.

"You guys never answered my question," I pointed out.

"Calvin's a tricky subject around here," Jake said.

"Well what did he do?" I asked.

"I'll tell you later."

"You said that before," I pointed out.

"Look, Rory, it's not a good idea-"

"Here's your milkshakes," Avery said coming in with a platter of one strawberry, two chocolates and one marvel milkshake. Leo took the strawberry, Jake and Nicolas took the two chocolate, and Avery handed me the marvel.

"Try it. It's good, I promise," Avery said. I took a sip of it and my taste buds had a party. "That is good," I agreed.

"Hey Avery, we gotta work a double tonight," said a girl who looked exactly like Avery except for the length of her hair, this girls was slightly shorter.

"Ugh. Fine," she gave a begging look to the guys. "Sorry Aves, we already got jobs at the Surf Shack," Jake said.

"Fine," Avery sighed. "Wait, Avery, I'll work here. If you want. But