Chapter 5. Burning bridge

It's the end of the day now, Tommy's been following Sally around everywhere like a lost puppy but of course Gemma and Sophie still couldn't stop teasing them both.

"Enjoyed today?" asks Sally, she knows he hasn't really had a good day, he always locks it up inside him.

"Yeah, thanks again for helping me. You're nice, I like you." he says.

Sally could feel herself blushing madly. "Friends, right?" she asks, just to make sure or else she wouldn't stop thinking about them exact words. "Of course," he lets out a little half smile.

"See you on Monday, Tommy!"

"Yeah, I guess."

In the evening, Sally decided to tell her parents about Tommy and how she helped him around today.

"Well, he must be lucky to have a good friend like you!" says her mum, feeling delighted.

"Oh, my girly! You've done me proud for being a little helper," flattered her dad.

Suddenly Sally could feel her heart beating really fast, it won't stop, it's making her feel more anxious, it's like someone's in danger and she can feel it. She loses her breath and gasps for air. "Sally!" cries her mum, "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm fine!" Leaps Sally on her feet, "I just need to go outside for some fresh air. Be right back in a min!" She hurries and slams the door behind her, it's too late, she's gone off and her parents just went with it.

"Oh, the strange things our girl does!" Laughs her dad, trying to make the situation less awkward. Sally runs and then she jogs and then she starts skipping, she breathes in the fresh open air. She then decides to go for a little walk around certain places, just to think about life and the precious words that the old lady told her this morning. Sally still wasn't sure what the old lady was telling her, 'Maybe she just meant that I should take care of myself and whenever an oppurtunity comes in life, I should take it?' She thought to herself, the precious words from the old lady made her think even more. Despite the old lady's appearance and age, Sally didn't think she was a nutter, she took her words seriously and did not forget it at all. Eventually it got her lost in really deep thoughts, she got back on planet Earth after a few minutes.

She carries on walking, the sky is beautiful, red and orange. Sally also loved seeing the sunset, it was her favourite part of the day. She walks a little more and then stops. 'Is that him?' she thought to herself. She can see someone on the bridge, they're trying to climb on top of it. Sally runs closer and closer. "Tommy?" she yells, "What are you doing?" It was Tommy, it looked like he was attempting suicide, to jump in the water. He turned around and they were both surprised to see each other.

"You? What are you doing here? Leave now!" he yells back. Sally doesn't leave, she stares into his beautiful blue eyes and she can see pain inside those exact eyes but he won't let it out. "Tommy! Get down, please. You shouldn't be up there, it's not safe!" she begs him, he turns his back away from her and slowly stands up trying to keep his balance. "TOMMY! NO!" she shrieks, tears are running through her eyes and won't stop. An idea strikes in her mind, she runs over and starts climbing. He hears her and looks at her.

"Sally? Stop it, just get lost."

"No, you're attempting suicide aren't you? Let me join you."

"No! Get off please, get away from here."

"I begged you to get off but you didn't listen to me. Now do you realise how much it hurts to see someone leave? Get off or else I'll jump in."

"Alright, alright.." he looks down, "If I get off you better get off as well, promise?"