Gilderoy Lockhart

The next day Hermione and I were sat at the breakfast table, we were both reading 'Voyages With Vampires. When Harry and Ron came in, Harry sat next to me and Ron sat next to Hermione.

"Morning," Hermione said stiffly.

"Morning, Harry!" I said happily. I heard Ron cough next to Hermione. "And Ronald."

"Morning," Harry said.

Neville came in and sat across from Ron.

"Mail's due any minute - I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot," Neville said.

Next thing you know the mail comes. Somthing large and grey fell into Hermione's milk jug, spraying us all with milk and feathers.

"Errol!" Ron said, pulling the owl out of her jug by its feet. Errol slumped, unconscious, onto the table, his legs in the air and a damp red envelope in his beak.

"Oh, no -" Ron gasped.

"It's all right," I started.

"He's still alive," Hermione finished.

"It's not that - its that." Ron said pointing at the red envelope. I looked at Ron as his face was covered in horror, I looked at Neville and his was too.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"She's - she's sent me a Howler," Ron said faintly.

"You'd better open it, Ron," Neville said in a timid whisper. "It'll be worse if you don't. My Gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and" he gulped. "It was horrible."

"What's a Howler?" Harry asked, I wanted to know too.

The letter began to smoke at the corners.

"Open it," Neville urged. "It'll all be over in a few minutes-"

Ron stretched out his shaking hand, and slit it open. Neville stuffed his fingers in his ears.

"-STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET A HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE-"

Mrs. Weasley's yells, a hundred times louder than usual, it made the plates and spoons rattle.

"-LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU, HARRY, AND PENNELOPE COULD'VE DIED-"

Harry and I tried our best to look as though we couldn't here the voice.

"-ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - YOUR FATHERS FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!"

A ringing silence fell. The red envelope fell out of Ron's hand and burst into flames. Hermione closed her book and looked at Ron.

"Well, I don't know what you expected, Ron, but you-"

"Don't tell me i deserved it," Ron snapped.

Professor McGonagall was moving along the Gryffindor table, handing out our schedules. I took mine and saw we all had double Herbology with Hufflepuff.

The four of us left the castle together, we crossed the vegetable patch, and made for the greenhouse. We joined the others as Professor Sproutvand Gilderoy Lockhart.

"Oh, hello there!" He called, beaming at us all. "Just been showing professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels . . . "