Harry's POV

I had just visited Hermione with Ron, well snuck in . And found a piece of paper in her hand, it was an old library page that talked all about the creature that has been attacking the people, the Basilisk.

Ron and I were pacing the floor of the staff room, we're way, too excited to sit down.

"All students to return to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately, please." The voice of McGonagall boomed.

I turned around and stared at Ron.

"Not another attack? Not now?" I said.

"What'll we do?" Ron said aghast. "Go back to the dormitory?"

"No," I said, I glanced around and saw an old looking wardrobe to my left, it was full of teacher cloaks. "In here. Lets here what it's all about. Then we can tell them what we've found out."

We both ran and hid inside it, I listened to the rumbling of hundreds of feet running above our heads, then the staff room door banged open.

I watched as the teachers started filtering into the room. Some looked puzzled, others looked downright scared. Then McGonagall arrived.

"It has happened," she told the staff. "A student has been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself."

Professor Flitwick let out a squeal. Professor Sprout clapped a hand over her mouth. Snape gripped the back of a chair very hard and said, "how can you be sure?"

"The Heir of Slytherin," McGonagall said, who was very white, "left another message. Right underneath the first one. 'THEY'RE SKELETON WILL LIE IN THE CHAMBER FOREVER.' "

Professor Flitwick burst into tears.

"Who are they?" Madam Hooch said weak-kneed. "Which students?"

"Ginny Weasley," McGonagall said.

I felt Ron slide silently down onto the wardrobe's floor beside me.

"And. . . "

Oh, no, who else.

"Pennelope Jone."

I clapped a hand over my mouth to keep me from screaming. Snape looked as though he would burst into tears any moment. I knew Pennelope was his favorite. But still.

I slid down the wall next to Ron.

She's not dead! She's not dead! She's not dead!

I said to myself.

"We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," McGonagall said. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said. . ."

The staff room banged open again. At first I thought it was Dumbledore, but no, it had to be Lockhart, and he looked too happy for my liking.

"So sorry - dozed off - what have I missed?"

All the teachers looked at him with hatred. Snape stepped forward.

"Just the man," he said. "The very man. Two girls have been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last."

Lockhart stared.

"That's right, Gilderoy," Professor Sprout chipped in. "Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

"I - well, I -" Lockhart sputtered.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" Flitwick piped up.