~Chapter 18~

Oli stood up and pulled me up to. after i stood he took his warm thumb and wiped some tears off my cheek.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow. okay, love?"

"right, school."

i groaned. he smiled. grabbed his things and left.

Oli's POV (weird, i know)

i walked home and slowed as i turned the corner near my house. i know i shouldn't have risked going to Lexi's today but i couldn't help myself. she seemed lonely and i thought she was really great. i got to my front porch and slowly turned the key, trying not to make too much noise. i closed the door slowly, took off my shoes and then slowly tiptoed toward the stairs. i heard the TV blaring in the other room. i stepped on an odd floor tile and it made a loud creak. i heard the sound of a can crunching between a fist and then footsteps. i saw my father appear in the doorway to the living room.

"thought you could sneak back in huh?"

he said spitting on the floor at the end of the sentence. fuck, i thought to myself.

"sorry i was at school."

"you must think I'm some kind of stupid. school don't last that long. think you could just get out your chores?"

"n-no"

he walked closer

"no what?"

"no, sir"

i tried not to stagger. i didn't want to seem defenceless against him.

"get your ass up stairs and start doing the chores. you're as useless as your mother."

i walked upstairs but before doing anything he had asked i walked to my younger sister's room. i opened the door slowly. i peeked my head in and she was hiding in the corner.

"it's just me, Annabel."

she lifted her head and ran to me. i hugged her tightly.

"he didnt hurt you, did he?"

i asked, hurt masking my voice. she shook her head and smiled up at me, still not talking. i sighed.

"i got to get some stuff done but then i can make us dinner okay?"

she nodded and walked over to her bookshelf as i left. my little sister hadn't talked for about two straight months. at first i thought it was just at home but her teacher called to try and set up a meeting with my parents. when my dad got that phone call he completely flipped out, that's why I had that shiner the other day in school. it had mostly healed now but he had been stricter on her ever since, i would never let him touch her though. i stretched my arms then walked over to the laundry room past my parents bedroom where my mum was sleeping. i started doing my dad's laundry while thinking about how i could never tell Lex the truth. she'd think i wanted to hurt her. but i could never hurt her. she's different. different than any other girl at our school. any other girl in the world.

i had only none for three weeks and a bit but i had never fallen so hard for anyone in my life.