Getting Close

After they left, you perched on the bed, a container of salt clutched tight in your hand. You might believe in ghosts now, and you might now how to protect yourself from them, but they were still new enough to freak you out, and you hated being alone.

Your hands trembling a little, you turned the TV on, wanting something to take your mind off the fact that you were alone, and a ghost seemed to haunt the room next to you. Just hours ago you had been contemplating the life of a hunter, traveling the road with Dean. And yet, here you were, scared of a ghost, trembling and hiding in fear.

Throwing the remote and the salt down on the bed in frustration at yourself, you stood up. You knew if you even had the chance to travel with Dean you would need to toughen up, and be able to take care of yourself. 

It was then the realization came to you, and you slumped back on the bed. What if this was just some sort of fling, and he was expecting to say bye to you at the end of it all. You had only known Dean for a short amount of time, but you could imagine a life with him. You had already fallen hard for him in the short amount of time you had known him. The way his eyes crinkled when he laughed or smiled, his huge contagious smile when he found something funny, and the way you could tell he cared about family. He made butterflies swarm around in your stomach, and you weren't ready to let him go yet.

"He will never love you." A familiar ethereal voice said from beside you, scaring you out of your thoughts about Dean. Glancing up, you saw Anna staring down at you, a sad expression on her pale face.

Your first instinct was to run, but you stayed still, trying to calm your fast beating heart. "Why do you say that?" You stuttered, your hand slowly inching towards the forgotten container of salt.

"Men don't love. They use you." She answered, as a tear fell down her face.

"That's not true." You whispered, but even as you said the words you knew what she said might be true for you and Dean. "Thank you for your journal. Can you tell me who is killing these people? Is it your fiancee?" 

She shook her head. "It is true. I thought he loved me, but he used me."

"Is he the one killing?" You asked her again. She nodded her head, confirming your question.

"What happened?" You asked, but the door slammed open and she faded away.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Dean asked, his rock salt shotgun pointed out in front of him. He must have seen  her before she vanished.

Wiping a tear away, you hadn't realized you had been crying. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He sat down next to you, placing the gun down on the bed as Sam shut the door. "You don't seem fine. You're crying."

"She's so sad, my heart breaks for her." You explained.

"What did she say this time?" Sam asked, as he sat down in one of the chairs.

"Pretty much the same thing. The same story about he won't love you. That men will just use you and cast you aside. I asked her if Andrew was doing the killing and she said yes."

Dean took your hand in his own, comforting you with his touch. "Who does she keep talking about?  I know you said you didn't have a boyfriend."

You couldn't tell him that the ghost was talking about him. You weren't sure how he would take it, and you weren't ready to hear his excuses as to why he would leave you behind.

"It's not important." You answered,  missing the hurt look that crossed his face.

"So she thinks you have feelings for a certain person, but he's going to cast you aside. Just like Andrew did." Sam reiterated, glancing between you and Dean, tucking his hair behind his ear as he contemplated the news.