chapter 2

Chapter 2

His head hurt. That was the first thought that entered Leo's mind when he came to. His second was that not only did his head hurt but also he could feel a searing pain in his leg particularly his ankle. He squinted his eyes against the bright sun and tried to remember what happened. He had been hunting deer he remembered when suddenly his ankle was caught in something and he fell down and hit his head then everything went dark after that. He sat up with difficulty and looked at his ankle; he cursed and then fell down again to the hard ground. His ankle was caught in a vampire trap. It was specially designed for vampires with a poison that could kill vampires. There was no antidote to the poison. The only solution was to have the trap removed before the poison reached his heart. He could not do that because if he did he would cut his fingers and then the poison would enter his body from two places it was akin to suicide. His only hope was that someone would stumble upon him soon. He thought about the past few months' event. He was not quiet sure; he wanted to be saved anyway. His life without a beloved was getting harder to live as the days went by. If the fates had not seen fit to grand him a beloved then this life was not worth living. With a sight, he closed his eyes and surrendered to the darkness that was eating at him hoping to never wake up again.

Meanwhile on the same stretch of road a small figure was traveling. The figure was human -that much was obvious considering that no werewolf or vampire was that small-

Moreover, it was a female. She was wearing a black cloak that covered her entirely so her features were hidden. She was traveling the same stretch of road as the vampire king was lying in because she wanted to reach the village at the end of the road. She was a traveling housekeeper you could say and the reason she wanted to reach the village was to find a job there for a while at least. She was busy thinking about jobs she could get and places she could stay at when she happened to look at her right when the road joined the forest and saw a figure lying there. At first, she thought it was a beggar and was not going to stop then she took a closer look at the figure. It did not look like a beggar she though approaching it a little. She saw that the figure was a young man maybe in his thirties and although he was wearing commoner's clothes like her and although they were dusty, they were not dirty. She then saw the trap at his ankle and gasped.

She saw him stir and hurried to his side. She knelt by him just as he opened his red eyes. They did not stop her- those eyes- although they scared her a bit. He was after all a vampire and she a human. "Don't move," she told him "I am getting you out of the trap. Once I open it pull your ankle out of the trap all right?" the man nodded his head and she wasted no time before opening the trap. it wasn't that hard to open it but she cut her finger a little in the process. The moment she had the trap opened he yanked his leg and stood with surprising speed and she watched as his ankle healed before her eyes. "Thank you" the man said before he disappeared. She stood there blinking for a moment at the empty space the man once occupied before she shrugged and continued on to her destination.