Chapter 10

Mackenzie PoV

Me and Alec left my room, to go find Jace and Clary and we heard Clary say ''-mother for the cup''.

''Who said that?'' Alec asked.

''Valentine'' Jace and Clary replied at the same time.

''How did he talk to you?'' I asked.

''My necklace'' Clary answered.

''So he can speak to you right through that necklace? Here in the Institute?'' Alec questioned her, like he doesn't like it.

''It's like how I saw Dot'' Clary told us.

''It's a portal shard. Your mother made sure you had it'' Jace explained to Clary.

''Well now I know what I saw. My mother's alive. She's unconscious, but alive''.

''Where are they?'' I asked.

''I don't know'' she said.

''But you said you saw them. Was there any identify characteristics? Weapons, photographs?'' Alec questioned her.

''I don't remember, it was awful'' Clary cried.

''Alec, lighten up'' my brother said.

''What I'm trying to say is, we can use this to get information'' Alec told us, referring to the necklace. ''Clary what did you see exactly?''

''Valentine has my mother. That's what I saw'' Clary answered him.

''Emotions are nothing, but a distraction. We were taught to control them'' Alec explained, but that's when I had enough of his attitude for one day.

''Yeah, and how is that working out for you?'' I glared at him. Even though we talked about it, it's still hurting.

''Mack, you know it's my job to protect the Institute. If Valentine can see us, that's a door I have to shut'' Alec told me, ignoring my question. ''Now, let me take a look at that thing'' Alec looked at the necklace and Jace handed it to him. ''Now it's in the proper hands'' Alec added, walking out, but Clary, Jace and I followed him.

''Alec where are you going?'' Clary asked.

''To put this somewhere safe. Where no one could be tempted to use it'' he replied.

''We should use it. Alec, we should use it to get to Valentine'' Jace suggested.

''If I were Valentine, I'd make you think that you could rescue Jocelyn. And then I'd lure Clary to me and leverage her life for the Cup'' Alec told his plan.

''I like Jace's idea. We saved Simon from the vampires that way'' Clary agreed with my brother.

''Yeah vampires. Bored, decadent, self-involved vampires. Valentine is a real threat. He can't be handled by 4 Shadowhunters-''

''5'' I corrected.

''Whatever. We'll leave it here'' Alec said, putting the necklace in a container and walked out.

~~~

The next day, me and Alec's and Isabelle's mother, Maryse, was watching Jace training. When he was done, he saw me and Maryse. ''Maryse. Hey'' Jace hugged her. ''It's great to see you. How's everyone in Idris? Where's, uh where's Max?''

''No Max'' Izzy and Clary walked in. ''Just Mom with her hair on fire''.

''I love how Shadowhunters share'' Clary sarcastically said. ''A hidden brother, and a secret country, and a private Portal''.

''Mother. Welcome back'' Alec walked in too, and kissed his mother's cheek. Cute. ''We didn't expect you.''

''You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not'' Maryse told her son.

''I am...we are'' he corrected himself.

''We'll talk about the Institute later. Right now, we have a bigger problem. The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why. My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk'' Maryse said, walking behind me, Jace and Alec. Seriously, this woman sometimes scare me.

''I have Seelie'' Isabelle told her mother.

''Yes, I know about your friends'' Maryse went to Isabeele, sounding a bit mad or something .''Isabelle, we stay separate from the Downworld for good reasons. The wrong move, the wrong word Do you think there is such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him them something they shouldn't know. Maybe you trod on one of their ridiculous customs without knowing it''.

''Wait, wait. I don't understand. You're laying all this on Izzy for having a friend in the Downworld?'' I asked, trying to defend my parabatai.

''When someone upsets the natural order, everything falls apart'' MAryse told me.

''Natural order? What are you saying?'' Clary asked, but Izzy didn't let her mother reply.

''I can help. I know how to talk to Seelies''

''She's right. She can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows. I could go with her if you want'' Alec said.

''I'd rather have Mack and Jace goes this time. Alec, you stay with the Fairchild girl. I want her under control. She's caused enough trouble already'' MAryse said, but made clary offended.

''Maybe that's because I wasn't even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago!''

''And what an exciting few days it has been'' Maryse told Clary, then looked at Alec. ''The Clave counts on us Lightwoods to maintain order here''.

''You don't need to tell me that. If the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle''.

''You're all so eager to do what you would prefer. It's time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it's about what must be done. I have given you your assignments, now carry them out. You, you, and you'' Maryse pointed at me, Jace and Izzy. ''With me, now'' Maryse walked away and the 3 of us followed.