Chapter 2 - Andrew

The town barbecue is on today. A knock on the door draws my attention.

"Hurry up, mate," Richard calls as he slams his fist on the door. I grab a clean shirt and pull it over my bare chest and open the door.

"Let's go," I say tapping his shoulder and getting into his car.

Liam and Dave hold their fists out to me as I fist bump them as a way of saying hello.

"You're going to have to check my car," Richard says. "The thing is getting old."

I laugh. "Have you seen the thing? It's been to hell and back. You should be thankful it's working in the first place."

When we get to the local park, it's filled with lights and a lot of people. Music playing loud. People shouting. Dancing. The whole lot.

Richard parks the car up against the grass and we hop off.

"I'm just here for the sausage sizzle," Liam points out.

Liam and Dave turn and run into the crowd leaving Richard and I alone.

I walk past the crowd of people trying to sell us glow sticks and pull Richard along with me. He usually gets suckered into these things and walks away with no money in his pocket. If I could help out I would but I work at a garage making the bare minimum to scrape through and survive. I can't waste money on things that won't be useful.

By the corner of my eye, I notice the new girl. The one who has just moved into town. She wraps her finger around her golden coloured hair as she looks around. I'm tempted to walk over and say hello but there's not much to say.

I heard she comes from Williams Square and is the granddaughter of Lucy. Lucy's daughter and son-in-law are incredibly rich which means she must be rich too. She probably avoids people like me on a daily instance. It doesn't help that she is incredibly beautiful either.

Richard taps my shoulder. "You okay?"

I shake my head. "Yea, absolutely fine."

I walk over to the crowd where I hear the singing. Roger is playing. He usually plays everywhere in town. At the park. At the pub and even at schools. The whole town knows him.

"Excuse me."

I turn around when someone taps my shoulder lightly. It's that girl again.

"Hey," I say.

"Umm," she says as she twists the side of her shirt. "I...I wanted to ask if my car is ready."

I shake my head. "Should be done by tomorrow. Think you can pick it up by then."

She nods. "Yes. What time?"

Richard stares at both of us and then vanishes almost immediately.

"Around four would be great," I say. "It'll give me time to get everything right."

She nods and then looks around. "What's this for?"

"The barbecue?" I ask.

She nods. "Yea. Grandma told me I should check it out."

I nod. "Ahh Lucy," I say. "She's usually here every time taking part but decided not to this time. It's a fundraiser. Raising money for the town."

I turn to notice if Richard is around but he's still not back. The girl looks down at her feet and taps the ground.

I watch her carefully. She has gorgeous green eyes and her golden hair is all the way to her hips. It's like she's expecting me to say something because she has no idea what to say.