Five Kids and Counting

Wow, I am so sorry this one took so long. I hope it's length and fluffy-ness somewhat make up for that. I'm almost finished with an AU that will hopefully be out within a few weeks.

I know this doesn't go with the Lady Midnight plot, but I started this before it was published. I hope you all like this chapter!

Ten years was all it took. Ten years until there was five of them. Magnus hadn't asked for a single one of them, but he'd be damned if he ever said he regretted any of it.

The first was Max. Their precious blue-skinned boy. Alec had only been twenty when Max entered their lives, but he had taken the boy in with open arms and stepped up to the challenge. Magnus never fully understood how his boyfriend had done it so intrepidly without stopping to question whether or not he could handle it. Magnus supposed it was because Nephilim tended to have children extremely young and it was in his biology, but Magnus was always impressed nonetheless.

Max had just turned two when the second one came into the picture. (Max was 8 months when they got him).

October, 2011

"Congratulations, Jace," Alec said, patting his parabatai on the shoulder. "I wish you both the happiest of lives, and I'm sure you'll have just that."

"Thank you, Alec." Jace smiled. "That means a lot, coming from my best man. I'm sure Clary will be happy to hear you say that."

"Happy to hear what?" Clary asked, approaching to the pair.

"Alec was just telling me how great he thinks our lives will be now that we're married," Jace explained.

Clary grinned. "That's so weird to hear you say. I can't believe we finally did it."

"Well, I couldn't be happier," Jace spoke, staring into the eyes of his new wife.

"I'll give you two a minute," Alec said, not wanting to intrude on their special moment. He looked around the room, catching sight of Magnus, Isabelle, and Max sitting at their table.

Max was seated on Magnus's lap, bouncing on his knees. Isabelle leaned over in her chair to look the two-year-old in the eyes.

"Now, Max, what I'm about to tell you is very important," she said. "Today, your Uncle Jace got married to Clary. That means Clary is technically your Aunt Clary. I don't care how many cookies she lets you have, how many times she reads to you, or how many pictures she draws for your bedroom. I will always be your favorite aunt. Remember that: Izzy is your favorite." She paused, looking at Max's smiling face. "Okay, now let me hear you say it. Who's your favorite aunt?"

"Izzy," the young warlock giggled.

"That's my nephew," Izzy praised, ruffling his curly hair. She straightened up to meet Alec's eyes. "You've done well with this kid, brother."

"I like to think so," Alec agreed, scooping the toddler from Magnus's lap. "Who's my precious little boy?"

"I am," Max exclaimed in a sweet high-pitched voice, clapping his little hands together.

"Yes, you are," Alec agreed, swinging the toddler onto his shoulders.

"Be careful," Magnus scolded out of habit. "Let's keep him in one piece."

Alec rolled his eyes good-naturedly. "You worry too much. I would never drop him."

"Perhaps, but there's no need to be careless," he said, lifting his son off his boyfriend's shoulders and holding the toddler against his chest.