New Year's Eve

Happy 2017, everyone! I hope you enjoy this little New Year's Eve one shot. I really wanted to get it out today, so it hasn't been torn apart by my editor, but I hope it's good enough for you all!

Snow and sleet were beating down upon New York City. The streets were coated in a thin layer of ice. Seeing ten feet in front of you was a triumph. The newscasters had warned citizens to stay indoors and stock up on food, because no one knew how long to snowstorm would last. It seemed to be one of the few times in modern history when the streets of New York weren't packed with people, going about their chaotic routines.

The overwhelming stillness and cold, however, did not reach the inside of a particular loft in Brooklyn. It's four occupants were gathered in the living room, one spread out on the velvet loveseat, tickling the four-year-old on his lap. The other two were working together to take down a ten-foot-tall Christmas tree.

"I hate seeing the decorations come down," Magnus mused from where he was seated with Max in his lap. "It's the end of the festive season."

"We always leave them up until New Year's Eve," Alec retorted. "That's longer than a lot of people."

"Perhaps," Magnus said, "but it's still disappointing." Then, to Max, placing him on the floor, "Go help your brother take down that tinsel."

Magnus rose from the loveseat as well and went to look out their large window. "I guess we won't be watching the ball drop tonight at the Institute. It's too dangerous to go outside."

Alec shrugged. "I guess we'll have to portal to the party tonight."

"What time do we have to be there?" Magnus asked.

"Seven," the shadowhunter replied, "so the boys can have some time to celebrate before they fall asleep."

"Daddy, I want to stay up!" Max whined.

"And we're not stopping you from doing that," Alec reassured his son, ruffling the boy's dark curls. "It's a special occasion. I just don't think you'll be able to stay up that late."

"I can! Tell him, Rafe, tell him!" Max exclaimed, indignant.

Rafael just shrugged. "I dunno if I can, hermano*."

Max stomped his foot, pouting. "I'll show you."

Alec grinned and bent down to kiss Max's head. "I'm sure you will, baby."

"Papa," Rafael spoke, tugging on Magnus's sleeve. "Who's gonna be there tonight?"

"It'll be pretty small, Rafe, don't worry. Just close friends and family."

The boy smiled. "Will it be fun?"

"Oh, yes," Magnus assured him. "It's always fun to celebrate the start of a new year."

"Can we play out in the snow before we go?"

"I'm afraid not, Rafe," Magnus said. "It's too cold outside." When the young boy frowned, Magnus added, "Aw, don't worry, mi hijo*. We don't need the outdoors to have fun."
***
"Rafael, hurry and put on your shoes," Alec urged. "We're already late."

"Sorry, Daddy," the boy responded, shoving his Skechers on his feet. Alec placed a loving hand on his shoulder.

"Portal's ready," Magnus announced. "Let's head out. Max, hold my hand." Then to Alec, "You got Rafael?"

Alec nodded, and the four of them stepped through the portal into the Institute's front hall.

"There are my favorite nephews!" Isabelle greeted as soon as she saw the family. "It's been too long since I've seen you two!"