Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

After a painfully silent walk back to the group Emett and I went our separate ways.

Neither of us really wanted to talk about what had happened, so he went with Titus and Renee to go do some training.

Titus was worried about Renee being separated and not knowing how to defend herself so they were going to teach her some basic moves. I decided to stay behind and get some time away from Emett.

Fate was sitting under a tree, it seemed like he was taking a nice nap and I thought that was a great idea so I made my way over.

“Hello.” I felt kind of awkward talking to him. I mean it wasn’t like I haven’t talked to him before but I never expected an answer.

He opened one of his closed eyes and looked at me. The corner of his mouth picking up into what I assumed was a smile.

“Hello.” His voice was husky like someone who had been asleep for a while.

“Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?” I almost half expected him to say no for the way I behaved earlier.

“Of course” He looked at the empty grassy spot next to him and closed his eye again.

“Thanks” I smiled and slowly sat next to him adjusting myself so I was laying on my side looking away from him. The grass was really soft and thick it was no bed, but it still felt amazing.

“Something on your mind?” I looked at Fate over my shoulder and saw his eyes still closed as he mumbled the words.

What wasn’t on my mind? My brain felt like it was flooded with questions unanswered.

“What am I?” I turned back over and stared off in the distance, and watched a small white butterfly dance from flower to flower.

“Well first and foremost you are Emett’s guardian it was what you were born into. Secondly you’re what we call a crystal shifter.”

I held the angels tear in my hand and thought back about the armor that encased me. I concentrated on my hand and before I knew it the crystal formed around my hand like a snake, forming the claws I used to wound Natis with.

“You can already shift ?” Fate’s voice was full of surprise and I only nodded my head and let the crystal retreat back into the tear.

“You are just like your parents.” There was light humor and sadness in his voice as he thought back on memories.

“How so?” Fates grin widened when he looked at me.

“They were our best guardians. They were the guardians of the King, Queen and their son. Unlike most shifters who can only control maybe 2 or 3 forms your parents mastered 6. It was something I had never seen before in all my years on this world”

 Fate stared off in the distance as he spoke about them. He seemed to have so much respect for them and it made my heart swell with sadness that I never had the chance to meet them.

I choke back my emotions “Are there other forms of shifters?”

 “Yes there are two forms of shifters, Crystal Shifters.” He nodded his head at my pendant with a smile.

“Your Mother was one as well you carry her pendant around your neck. Then there are Blood Shifters that was what your father was.”

 “What’s the difference?” I stare absently into the pendant, as Fate explained.

“Well a crystal shifter uses the crystal forms of the creatures they master. Their bodies are encase in the form of the creature and they acquire there attributes. For instance what did you shift into do you know?”