Chapter 23

CHATER 23

“Again!” Barbus yelled.

We had been training for several hours now, and I was just starting to figure out how to use the crystal to burrow into the ground after the enemy. It would be a useful attack hidden by the dirt , then suddenly the crystal would burst out of the ground next to an enemy. It was proving to be a difficult skill to learn.

“I’m trying!” I was frustrated that I couldn't use it as quick as my wolf form yet. Ontop of that  I was not yet able to allow the nymph armor form around my body. It was more difficult to tap into then my wolf form, just trying to use the crystal on my arm for this new attack used a lot of focus.

“Imagine yourself flowing through the dirt like a root.” I rolled my eyes at Barbus’s suggestion.

“Don’t you think Ive already tried that!?” I was panting hard sweat was rolling down my face stinging my eyes.

“Maybe she should take a break Barbus.” Emett was sitting under a nearby tree watching us train. He would occasionally throw out some helpful tips, but for the most part he tried to stay quiet.

“She almost has it.” Barbus charged at me again.

I was able to get the crystal to my hand the part that was proving difficult was extending it. I stared at my hand and imagined it was a root itself. When I saw it extending I pointed it at the ground allowing it to enter the earth. The next difficulty was moving through the thick hard dirt, I was breathing hard and my body ached. The medicine from earlier must be wearing off…Frustrated, I screamed through my teeth as I tried to get my crystal to cooperate. A few feet in front of Barbus the Angel’s tear resurfaced in the form of a very sad pathetic looking root. It was beyond easy for Barbus to dodge it and send another brutal blow to my side with his fist. As soon as he made contact with my body my concentration was broken and the crystal immediately receded. I dropped to my knees cursing through a clenched jaw.

“Well that was a little better I suppose.” Barbus whipped the sweat from his brow and extended a hand to me. I ignored it and got up on my own, I had not expected Barbus to be so brutal with his training. To put it nicely he was my least favorite person right now.

“I need a break” I mumbled in a less than respectful tone.

“Alright” Barbus didn’t seem phased in the slightest by my foul mood.

I stormed away from Emett and Barbus towards the sound of flowing water. After crashing through some thick bushes I reached a small creek. When I reached the waters edge I took a deep breath before kneeling down wasting no time splashing the cool liquid on my face.

It was refreshing, but when my hands made contact with my for head I noticed how burning hot I was. I reached around my back gently pressing my fingers near my wounds. I could feel my touch and it hurt, the pain medicine was definitely wearing off. I felt a sharp pain in my chest, it was an unusual sensation. Like a darkness filling my body. I looked at my reflection in the water and could have sworn my eyes had darkened a shade. I shook my head ignoring the feeling that something was wrong.

When I was done at the creek I stood up and headed back to Barbus and Emett. They where sitting under the tree smiling and laughing.

Were they laughing at me?Were they laughing at how pathetic I was? I felt my blood boiling with frustration. The closer I got to them the more my frustration turned into anger.

‘You need to find Fate’ I ignored the Angel’s tear voice in my head and continued marching towards Barbus and Emett.

“Whats so funny?” I grumbled and crossed my arms.