Chapter 11: Avoid

A/N: Okay, first off, I'm sorry I didn't update last week. I had some issues to attend to until I didn't have any time to even do anything about writing. I admit, I've been reading, voting and commenting on stories but, I haven't been updating my own. I apologize for the wait, now, here. Enjoy this read! Thanks so much for even clicking on this story! BTW, this chapter's longer than the others. 😄

*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Do you get it?" I asked for confirmation, seeing that she easily gets confused at these types of questions. "I'm sorry if I'm going to fast." 

She fiddled with the end of her mechanical pencil, playing around with the eraser located on the tip even though her eyes were glued onto the notebook, observing the question I was referring to. "So, if I square root 100 and add it to the sum of x and y which is 59..." she trailed off, writing the working on the blue lines of the notebook. "109." she underlined the digits to mark her final answer. 

"Actually..." I chuckled, extending my arm to reach for her written answer and using my own mechanical pencil, began to recalculate her solution. "If you look carefully, you're misunderstanding the concept of square root." 

"What are you talking about?" she scratched the side of her head, just directly above one of her bangs that perfectly framed her face. "I don't think I got the formula wrong." 

I chuckled again, seeing her desperately try to hide her embarrassment from getting the incorrect answer. "You got the formula right." I tried to encourage her. "But, you're confusing square root and division by 2." 

"Huh?" 

"See, if you divide a hundred with 2 like you just did, you'd get 50 which would be the root of the incorrect answer you achieved." I explained, carefully going through every detail to make sure she understands what I'm trying to say. "But, square root isn't where you divide a number by two, it's when you divide the number by itself. For example, when you square root a hundred, its equivalent to 10 multiply by 10 thus, giving us the answer to the square root of 100 is 10." 

"Summary?" 

"Square root of a hundred is ten, Kayano." I answered almost immediately, knowing that she'd ask for a simpler understanding. 

She giggled, "I'm sorry Nagisa." she began writing down the answer based on my words. "Its not that I'm trying to mock you or anything. Nor am I making fun of your intelligence. It's just that I'm a bit slow when it comes to long explanations." 

"I know, but, I can't help it." I scratched the back my neck that was itching for me to do so with insecurity. "I'm sorry I'm not much of help."

"No, no!" she stopped me from thinking negatively. "Your help is more than enough. Its just that I'm too stupid to actually use it. Cause, you know, E-class." 

I let out a nervous laugh, "Yeah, I guess." 

"Oh." she suddenly said, as if she just remembered something important. "I have a violin class in 20 minutes! I totally forgot!" she panicked, shoving her pencils and such in her small pencil case before packing everything in her bag.     

"I didn't know you played." I chuckled, despite understanding her panic. 

"To be honest, I'm a little rusty." she admitted, her eyes still glued on making sure her things were intact, though. "But, I'm performing for a recital after exams next week. That's why I need to practice, I'm so sorry." 

I smiled, "Of course, I understand." I stood up, acting as the gentleman should by accompanying her to the door of the empty classroom. 

"No, I'm really sorry." she insisted. "I didn't mean to suddenly cancel, I swear."