Chapter 5

Ladybug stood near the hotel, waiting in the shadows. She didn't want to go in alone; she was too nervous. The event had just barely started, so Chat Noir probably wasn't there yet. Maybe she'd wait for him?

She flipped open her yo-yo and held it to her ear, dialing Chat in. After a moment, Chat answered.

"Ah, M'Lady! Can I help you?" he answered smoothly.

Ladybug nodded, even though she knew he couldn't see her. "You're going to the celebration, right?"

"Of course!" Chat replied. "Wait, why? Are you not going? Why not? Are you okay? What-"

"I'm fine," Ladybug cut him off sharply. "I'm outside the hotel right now? But I just... Don't want to go in all alone, I guess. I was wondering when you'd be here."

Chat laughed, but in a way that was friendly rather than ridiculing. "Nervous? That's alright, Bugaboo. Wait for me. I'll be there in five minutes. See ya then." Chat hung up and Ladybug sighed in relief. She didn't have to go in alone. Thank goodness.

She fidgeted anxiously as she awaited Chat's arrival. When he finally arrived, Ladybug was impressed. Only one minute and twenty-two seconds later than he said he'd be. New record. Not that she'd been keeping track.

She spotted him before he saw her. As soon as he was a few feet away, she stepped out of the shadows.

"Chat," she said cooly in an attempt to keep her calm. "You look nice."

Chat grinned. His hair was characteristically unruly, and of course, he still had his cat ears and tail. He'd dressed nicely but still kept his personality. His black suit jacket was left open over his white dress shirt, and his slim black tie was tied loosely. "Really? Thanks!" He looked at Ladybug, wide-eyed and with a half smile. "Ladybug," he said gently. "You look absolutely, stunningly beautiful."

Ladybug thanked him politely. There was a still silence between them for a moment.

"Well?" Chat Noir finally broke the silence. "Shall we?" He held out his arm, which Ladybug accepted. They walked together down the dark sidewalk to get to the hotel, which had bright light pouring from the door.

A tall man stood guard outside. "Ah, our guests of honor, Ladybug and Chat Noir!" He said excitedly. "Shall I have your arrival announced?"

Ladybug shook her head. "No, thank you."

The guard smiled warmly. "Alrighty then. Go in in."