17

I looked at all of the boys with my mouth open slightly, feeling my heart beat rapidly. Their smiles of relief made it impossible for me not to smile as well. The heart monitor was now beating at a stable pace. "Thank goodness!" I sighed as I fell to my knees. I looked up as the door opened, and a doctor stepped out with several nurses rushing away behind him. "You must be Ashton…" He said as he helped me to my feet. "She's ok isn't she, she's going to be alright." I asked quickly, not giving myself to catch my breath. He let out a sigh as his head dropped. I felt the lads arms around me as the words left the doctors mouth, their arms being the only thing keeping me up. I put my hands over my face and wiped my eyes. "Can I go and see her?" I croaked. "Yes, of course." The doctor replied in a hush tone, standing aside. I pushed against the several arms wrapped around me and slowly walked forwards. "I'm sorry…" The doctor said as I looked back at him. "It's not your fault…" I managed to say before walking in and closing the door behind me. I turned round once the door was shut, and looked at the bed in front of me. "It's mine." I muttered, the feeling of tears re-occuring. Ahead of me was Immy lying still in the bed, the monitor trying to break the silence, but not having any real impact. Immy looked like she always used to when she was asleep, as if she had never had to deal with anything in the world…And she would never have to again. Immy wasn't ever going to wake up, she was already gone, it was just the machines keeping her alive. I tried my hardest to keep the tears back as I sat down beside the bed and took her cold hand in mine. I stroked my thumb over her knuckles as I dug into my pocket with my other hand. I took out the engagement ring, I had been planning on giving her for a year now. "I was always too late wasn't I" I began to say as I slowly placed the ring on her finger. "And I don't think superheroes are ever late!" I laughed slightly, looking at her and knowing she would have smiled if she could have heard me. There was a quiet knock on the door before all three of the boys heads peered round. "We're going back as we are knackered and it will be crowded if we stay. Are you going to stay here?" Michael asked. I nodded, "I'm going to stay the night." They left within seconds and I focused on Immy again. "I'm not leaving you."