Cancer

The first few weeks with Finn are sweet.

Filled with hugs and kisses, presents and chocolate.

But one evening, things turn sour. I stumble into the hall after a night out with some old friends, drunk. It's safe to say that if I had two faces, I'd be drunk off both of them.

Finn storms out into the hall, and grabs me by the wrist.

"Who were you with!" He roars, seeing my somewhat smudged lipstick from when I wiped my mouth earlier.

I smirk, completely oblivious to the damage I''m doing.

"That's none of your business!" I giggle, waggling my finger in his face.

He slaps me hard across the face, knocking me over.

"Tell me!" he yells, and I giggle again. He raises his fist, and I dodge out of the way, laughing my head off.

I run into the sitting room, thinking this is some form of game. I run outside, spluttering with laughter.

As I dodge behind a bush, I hear a bang, and before I realise what is coming, the bullet hits me in the leg.

I shriek, and fall to the floor. I put a shaky hand to the wound, and blood spurts out of it.

Then I see Finn, with one of the kitchen knives, still pointing the gun at me.

I let out a scream, and haul myself up, limping along. I do my best to get away, but I fall, and can't get up.

I curl up, dizzy and light headed, from loss of blood. 

Just as Finn reaches me, I can hear the sirens. Police cars shoot up the drive way, and cops come running over, pointing guns and yelling stuff at Finn.

I can't hear them. My ears must be failing me. Just as one reaches me, I black out.

*

*

*

---Alfie's POV---

I sit there, tear-stained and rugged, as I watch the girl I love fight for her life.

The bullet that she took did serious damage to her arteries, and she was pretty beat up too, from apparent lack of sleep and food.

It turns out that she was hiding a whole lot from everyone.

I've sat here for three days, waiting for her to wake up.

People come and go, but I don't pay much attention to them.

I just want her to wake up. I want to see her laugh, to see her smile.

I choke back another wave of tears, some spilling out onto my cheeks.

I clasp her hand, and hold it up to my lips.

"Please wake up", I beg, shutting my eyes for a while.

When I open them, I see a pair of blue eyes looking at me.

"Alfie?" she whispers. "You're awake!" I exclaim, and give her a massive hug.

A nurse hear's all the ruckus, and comes in, smiling.

She gives Zoe a quick check over, and disappears off to find a doctor.

"What happened?" she asks, confused. "Finn...he assaulted you. Shot you I mean. You won't be able to walk for a while, but you'll be better before you know it", I say reassuringly.

A doctor comes in, and I'm filled with dread as soon as see his general look. Grave-faced, tight lipped, with sad eyes.

"Are you immediate family?" he asks me. "No. But I'm not leaving", I answer.

The doctor glares at me, but doesn't bother to argue.

"Ms. Sugg, as you already know, you were assaulted by Finn Harries", the doctor says. Zoe nods.

"You were shot in the leg and-" "Just get on with it! I can tell there's something else!" Zoe exclaims, making him jump.

He bites his lip, and then answers. "We came across something in the scans. Something sinister", he says.

My heart thumps.

What could it be? "What is it?" Zoe whispers.

"Zoe Sugg, you have breast cancer".

---Zoe's POV---

The whole world dissolves, crumbles.

Tears spill out of my eyes, tightening my throat, making me choke. How? HOW?! How could I have gotten breast cancer?

"How?!" I hear Alfie demand.

"It came to our attention that Finn has been abusing her for a while. This may have brought it on", The doctor says gently, and Alfie begins to sob.

---Alfie's POV---

I stand out in the hall, looking blankly at my cup of coffee, as Zoe's parents hear the news.

I can already hear the sobs.

Imagine what it must be like, to hear that your only daughter has cancer?

I can't even imagine it.