Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It’s a nice breezy day at Marlton High School so I’m sitting outside with Sabrena picking at her pizza. You'd think in my third year of high school I would get used to the warm and inviting feeling I got when I sat outside with the wind and warm, yet cool fall air. Not to mention the breathtaking view of the blending colors of auburn red, golden brown,  pumpkin orange and amber yellow leaves scattered everywhere painting the ground.  While I was taking all this in and smiling to myself, Sabrena was rambling on about something when drama walked in, or should I say slammed her tray on the table.

“OHMYGOD! Have you seen Blake’s new hair! It’s all spiked and UGHH, He’s so....so...so yummylicious!” Fiza said as with a mischievous yet dreamy look on her face. Her dark brown, red streaked hair falling in her food and she didn’t even know.

                “Yummylicious?! Is that even a word, Fiza?” I shook my head disappointed at her weakness for the male specimen. I gingerly took her hair out of her pudding making a sour face. Bleckh.

  “Fiza. That doesn’t get even close to describe that airhead at all!” Sabrena said supporting me. I gave her 

“Thank you Sabrena. See Fiza! She’s not blabbing about stupid boys." Fiza began to open her mouth to protest but I beat her to it. "And she’s a girl too!” I said smiling at Sabrena, thankful for someone on my side. Then she ruined it.

  “…But Man candy does!” Sabrena added at the last minute, twirling her caramel colored brown hair around her fingers, much to my disappointment. Her hazel brown eyes twinkling with mischief. The appreciative smile slipped off my face. I should have known. I sighed heavily and smacked my forehead giving up. As if one person babbling about hair wasn’t enough. Now I had two.

I got up from the table going to throw away my trash, my ears tired of hearing ridiculous adjectives all to describe one person. I bumped into something rock solid and jumped a few steps back. I saw the figure began to make it's way around without even acknoldging an apology. How rude!

“Excuse me!” I said getting the figure to turn around. I was met with amused blue eyes and 5'11 tower.

“Your excused.” Said the boy huskily, looking into my eyes as if he could read my sould and rip it out with a smirk. Wow, what a pig. He really thinks this is gonna work on me. Obviously he doesn’t know me then. I glanced at spiky hair sitting on top of his head. So this must be the oh-so-yummylicious- Blake.

I acted like I was hypnotized by his eyes and his smirk grew wider. He was leaning in very slightly and I pretended to fall in his trap. Right when he was the perfect distance away I snapped him out of his trance and snapped “Rude!” while flicking his nose (hard) and quickly walked away. I let out a giggle as I heard an 'Ow!'. Oh gosh I’m just too much. Now I bet his annoying smirk was transferred onto my face. All that’s left on his face was probably shock. Who does he think he is? The King of Antarctica?... Do they even have a kingdom?

I arrived at our table trying to hold my giggles in to see to big O’s. Each of them belonging to Sabrena's and Fiza's mouth.

Oh Allah help me.

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!” they screamed at the same time making my ears ring from double the sonic.

“That was me telling that sleaze off!” I said with a shrug.

“You were that close to him and you weren’t even tempted to touch that hair. THE hair?” Fiza said while Sabrena nodded vigorously. I smiled. She looked like a chicken.

“Sure it looks...ok. But I’m more into the dark hair with slight spikes or a fohawk look. Not random spikes like that.” I stated looking in my mirror to see if I had any food in my mouth. They both were gawking at me like I just spoke a foreign language. 

Sabrena quickly glanced at Fiza before she looked at me. “So she does have a girl in her!” she laughed.

“Tell us more. What does Laila look for in a man?” Fiza said leaning closer with a smirk on my face knowing she had caught me. I grew uncomfortable.

“SPILL THE PICKLES!” Sabrena said hitting my hand.

“OKAY! Chill! GOSH!” I said rubbing my hands. I cleared my through when I saw their eager faces.

                “Well, I’d like him to be taller than me or the same height I guess.” They nodded telling me to continue. “And decent and ....nice?” I added watching their eager smiles droop into disspointed frowns.

                “That’s it? “ Fiza said with wide eyes and an unbelievable expression.

                “No ‘charm’ or anything?” Sabrena added with a questioning look.

                “Nope. That’s all really. I’m not looking for picky traits in a dude to ‘fall in love’ with. I believe in compromise.” 

                “You do realize we’re bound to fall in love one day?” Fiza said said taken aback.

                “I just can’t wait! I want to find him already.” Sabrena cooed with a dreamy look in her brownish green eyes. I gave her a warning look. Memories from a while ago returning to my head. Call me paranoid.

                “Don’t forget the promise.” I said sternly. Slightly more than I should’ve been.

                Sabrena realized what she said and spoke in a small voice, “Laila. I was just joking. You know making fun? Hassi Mazaak?" she smiled trying to lighten the mood. My expression didn't tone down the seriousness one bit from her  feeble attempts. She sighed in surrender. "Of course I’ll go by the promise. Just Chill chill, just chill.” she sang the lyrics of the last part from a movie and I cracked a tiny smile at that.

                “Don’t worry. Its going to take a lot more than a person to get rid of us two.” Fiza said with a smile. At that I took a deep breath and nodded. These two would never do that. And I doubt they would bring their infatuation in between our friendship and become whipped. And not in a million years would I be that kinda muslim. I laughed outloud just thinking about it.

  I’ve got absolutely nothing to worry about the tension slipped off my shoulders like a heavy rock. But a small part of doubt still remained cemented deep in my gut.

…..I hope.