The Beginning

"I think that's enough for tonight." The bartender declined my request for another shot of apple vodka.

"You can't tell me what to do!" I whined, slamming my fist on the counter, immediately regretting it. "All men are the same, they always want to tell people what to do and they never want to follow instructions."

The bartender regarded me with a sympathetic look. Probably he knew why I was here, or probably he just needed me to stop scaring the other customers away. He put down the shot glass he had finished cleaning and whispered something to his co-worker.

I blinked for a second too long and then he was suddenly beside me. I stared at him blankly and he helped me off the barstool. I stumbled a bit but he steadied me by putting one arm around me, holding me up by the waist. I expected him to try some cheap pick up line but he walked with me silently to the bus stop.

I narrowed my eyes at him when we sat on the bench. He held his head in his hands and looked as if he was sleeping. I studied him for a moment, it was a little hard from my blurry vision but I still managed to get a good look at him.

His black hair fell a little under his eyebrows, his long sleeved white shirt was rolled up just over the elbows and I remembered that he had a beautiful smile.

"So should I call you a cab or do you want to stare at me longer?" He met my eyes and I quickly averted my gaze elsewhere

"I can take the bus from here." I still refused to look at him.

"You're buzzed, probably drunk. I can't live with myself if something happens to you."

"I'm fine, do you want me to walk the white line?"

He laughed and shook his head. He got up and brushed some invisible dirt off his pants.

"I've got to get back to work, but whatever it is you're sad about, you can get over it in time. I hope to see you again." He smiled and walked off.

"You too." I knew he didn't hear me; I didn't want him to.

I sat there for a while, just contemplating life. I tried not to cry as I saw scores of couples walk past. They were happy, the exact opposite of what I was feeling right now. Today was supposed to be my boyfriend, no, ex-boyfriend and I's one year anniversary together. Instead; it turned out to be one of the worst days of my life.