24

I'm going through my bag and folding all my clothes. Me and my mom are flying back to Pennsylvania because it's faster and I'm thankful, I personally don't feel like going through all those States over again and making new not so fun memories.

A knock on the door brings me out of my thoughts and I fold a pair of shorts shoving them in before I turn to see who's at he door. Zuri is standing there smiling at me, I send a small smile back. She comes and sits and the bed against the wall curling her legs up.

"I'm so glad to have met you Alessandra. You're such a great girl." She says and I smile at her genuinely.

"I'm so thankful to have met you, you and Cedric have been so hospitable and so sweet even though we came here unannounced." I said and she shakes her head.

"I did know that Ezra was going to stay, we've made plans two weeks ago and he said he already was planning on coming down here. Do you need any help?" She ask's uncurling herself to slide off the bed and pick up a shirt from the pile of clean clothes.

I've been making preparations to leave all morning since my mother showed up unexpectedly.

I'm confused as to why Ezra didn't just tell me he's staying here, but I guess he didn't want anything to put a damper on the trip.

"Thanks." I said as we working in trying to fit all of my clothes into the bag and effectively zip it up.

When all my bags are by the door and Cedric said he'd take us to the airport. Ezra's coming along as well, I'm not sure how we'll both handle this goodbye, I don't want to shed any more tears, but I know that's a long shot.

I hug Zuri and thank her again as we all go into Ezra's car for Cedric to drive us to the airport. My mother takes the passenger seat and me and Ezra sit in the back together. He holds my hand and my eyes already start to water. I clear my throat and look at him, giving him a watery smile.

He smiles back and we both look forward.

"I'm going to miss you." I say my voice sounds small and tired. And I notice it because I am small and tired. He gives my hand a squeeze, I don't think he trusts his voice to talk right now so we don't say anything.

I see a long low building up ahead as we drive into a parking ramp and my stomach plummets.

Cedric takes a parking ticket and we're accepted in. He parks and we all pile out if the car.

I don't feel like myself as I make these movements. I feel like I'm trapped in another persons body, or I'm dreaming and when I wake up it will all be okay and this whole trip will just be made up in my head, and that I'll wake up underneath my round light and my stained wood floors. And Ezra and I will go and talk in the field and I'll tell him of my dream, and we'll smile and talk.

But as my bag lands heavily on the ground the sound echoing through the cement building.

I know it's not.

And Ezra is leaving me sooner than I expected, and this time he's not promising to come back for me.

I shoulder my bag. I left my backpack because it was too heavy and all of the things in it were cheap and replaceable.

Ezra sets a hand on my shoulder as we walk to the entry way.

Cedric stays in the car.

My mom says she has to go to the restroom but maybe it's just an excuse for me and Ezra to be alone.

The plane leaves at 4:00, and it's 3:15 right now. I take a deep breath and turn to face Ezra.

"So I'm just going to say something and-" I close my eyes and steady myself. "I know that no one can make a long distance relationship work. And I know you don't want a relationship, I understand that. I'm glad that you've been my friend and that you've been there for me, I don't want any promises that we'll talk or that you'll call. Because you're going to be busy with school. I'm thankful that I've been able to have someone who listens and that I've been able to fall in love. I still love you, I don't think that's going to change. I'm still going to text you and talk to you, but I'm not saying we'll be able to stay friends. You've always been there for me and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help you." My bag has dropped somewhere in my words. The clock now reads 3:21.

I paused a lot in my speech.

I bite the inside of my cheek and cross my arms. Ezra's stayed silent the whole time and he's just listened and nodded when he del necessary.

"Ally, you've been my best friend, and I'm pretty sure you'll always be my best friend. But I know that's not true, I know that you know what you're talking about because you're a realist." He gives a small shy smile. "I'm an optimist. I'm going to miss you so much, and I will text you. You know how forgetful I am but that happens sometimes." He steps forward and pulls me to him, we stand there with hugging until I see it's 3:30. I pull away and kiss him.

"I love you." We both say at the same and laugh. He hugs me again and I see mom is standing waiting in a line. We kiss one last time and I go and join my mom.

When we go through the line and finish I turn back and see Ezra standing there, one hand in his pocket and his shoulders hunched.

He's so painfully handsome and my heart lurches. I feel lime I'm going to cry but I can't so I give him a big smile and wave happily. He lifts he free hand and I pull my lips in to fight back from crying. I turn back and walk to my mother. When I turn to look back he's walking away and he turns we both give that sort of relieved smile and then we're on our way.

Me back to the same thing, same school, same town, same room, same park.

And Ezra turns away to start a new life. With the ocean on his side.