13

So, we've been on the road for the better part of the day, after the café stop, we got back into the car and onto the highway, my coffee was just what I needed.

Me and caffeine have a special kind of relationship.

Give and take, I would give my life up for it, it gives me all that it is; and I take.

It's quiet, but a good quiet, not the awkward stuff in Colorado, as a result of my mistakes. Oh if only I could go back and change it, no drama, no tension; and I wouldn't have ruined a whole state of our trip.

But alas, I can't and I'll have to live with the consequences for the rest of my pathetic life.

Drama much Ally?

I shush myself, and look at Ezra, I've been doing that a lot these past few days, just looking over to my left, and he's there, it feels like he's always right beside me, or never too far away. 

Oh I wish it will never change.

But in 2 years, he'll finish high school, and go to college or to live somewhere far away, away from his life, away from me.

He'll most likely meet this drop dead gorgeous girl, with long legs and blonde hair that's always shiny. I'll just be somewhere in his past, in the stories he'll tell his kids.

"My best friend and I went on a road trip for her birthday, it was fun." And then I'll just be in the back of his mind, someone he thinks about only occasionally when he see's something that reminds him of me.

A near figment of his imagination.

I try and comprehend what it will be like; An Ezra-less life.

It's impossible.

Why am I making myself depressed? I have a habit of doing that, thinking of things to come, and working myself into a frenzy.

But that's just what it is; to come. I still have a Ezra in my life, and will for two more years, there's no need to freak out over stupid little things when I will just make myself upset.

"Have you ever watched Friends?" Ezra asks me out of the blue, I nod.

"Yeah, I've watched it before. Do you like it?" I ask, and he shrugs with his left shoulder.

"It's alright I guess. My favorite one is the sarcastic gay dude." Ezra says with a straight face.

I look at him with a questioningly expression on my face, when he makes no reaction, I snort most unladylike.

"Chandler?" I ask, and he makes a 'that's what it is!' face and I smile, "He's not gay."

Ezra looks over at me, and swerves a little, looking at the road and straightening out before he turns to me again.

"He is too gay!" He says defensively.

"Um, no he's not." I say with a chuckle in my throat.

"Really? I would've bet money that he is." He shakes his head and his lips quick to the side.

"Well, then you would lose a lot of money." I tell him.

He nods, "That, is very true."

~

The clock on the dashboard reads 7:12, the sky is turning, and the car is sticky with humidity, it's so hot, the windows are down, and my hair keeps flying everywhere. It gets in my eyes and I can't see, and it keeps getting stuck in my mouth and my Chapstick.

"So are you feeling food?" Ezra asks, I look at him.

"When am I not feeling food?" I asks, and he laughs quietly, the music is loud so we're able to hear it above the wind.