18

Food does make things better.

After a burger and fries I was warm in the sun and I fell asleep slumped up against the passenger side door.

After Ezra had pulled over and harshly shook me awake. And I had a moment of disorientation and I had almost punched Ezra we went into Walmart cause he said he needed to pick up a few things.

Which meant we were in the store for an hour as Ezra tried to pick out the best shampoo, and which one smelt better. Sometimes he acts like such a girl.

I got a specialty Chapstick which was caramel something or other. But it smells very good. And Ezra got some other random things. 

Such as white t-shirts, I had absolutely no idea what he needed these things for. But he also got conditioner. I have a personal preference that I think all men should use conditioner, just because they're a 'man' doesn't  mean they have the right to not wash and do all the personal hygiene necessities that is disgusting if a women doesn't.

As we skip our way to Ezra's car I accidentally run into a car, earning a warning honk and a flaming face.

Ezra laughs at my embarrassment and I shoot him a glare.

"You're a jerk," I tell him and he just smiles wider but I see a look of knowing fly quickly on and off of his face. So fast it's barely discernible.

"Oh I know." He says sarcastically. As he throws his shopping bags in the back seat on top of his unused jacket. And the random wrappers. 

We get in and buckle up the music plays softly, Comes And Goes (In Waves), by Greg Laswell, 

It's a sweet slow song, that makes me want to fall asleep once more. But I refrain I have no idea where we are. How far away from Malibu we are.

"Okay, so I have a question." Ezra speaks suddenly as the car starts and cool air blows through the fans. I have an unanswered sense of dread but I push it away. 

"Um, yeah?" I ask pushing my hands underneath my thighs, just for something for my hands to do.

"Well, I have an uncle a short way from Malibu." He says, and relief washes over me. I don't know why I was so worried. But Ezra has a look of questioning and regret written across his features, I don't know what it means. But I don't want to know.

It seems that I'm pushing away all my unanswered questions. I don't want answers if they would hurt me, or make me feel upset.

I'm tired of being upset.

"And," I question further, knowing he's not finished quite yet.

"Well, I was wondering if we could stay there for a night or so. We can still go somewhere a night or so, it would just help a lot, financially and all." He says and I nod totally understanding as he says that.

"That would be totally great." I tell him grinning. The air condition working with all its might to fight off the dry heat.

"Well, we're an hour and a half from his place. It's not too big, just fits him and his girlfriend Zuri. They've got a two bedroom one story and a couch." He says and I nod. 

"That's alright." I assure him. "Just as long we're only a few from the beach." I smile and he nods assuring me it's only down the highway or so. I get a sense of excitement rush through me is anticipation as he pulls the car out of the parking space only for a another one to whip in quickly to steal it before someone else comes along.

As Ezra peeled onto the highway slow and smooth. I had a moment of anxiety clutch at my lungs and my breath came short. I didn't know how long it lasted like this, me near wheezing and trying controlled breaths while Ezra continued along the highway as if everything was good.