Chapter 5

Gabby ended up taking Sam with her to her first OB doctor's appointment. Clint would have gladly gone but got wrapped up in last minute ranch details. It had helped that Gabby's biological father had a sister working as a nurse in the local OB office. She landed Gabby an appointment sooner than most.

Gabby came home from that visit with ultrasound photos, excited to show everyone the very first pictures of the baby. At this point it didn't look like anything more than a kidney bean, but Gabby showed them the little spot on on the picture where she had seen a tiny heart beating. She was aproximately eight weeks along and they were estimating the baby would be born the following September.

Clint was glad to see her fear giving way to excitement but that ebbed a little after she called her family in Danington to give them an update. Evie was pushing Gabby to return to Danington ASAP. This baby was her last link to Austin as well and it was obvious she hadn't even considered that Gabby would be thinking about staying on in Miller's Creek.

Clint had kept his mouth shut up to this point, not wanting to burden her or push her to decide before she was truly ready. He knew Sam had mentioned it, as gently as Sam knew how, but Gabby hadn't really opened up to her either. He didn't know what to do. It was almost four days ago that he had looked up the balance on the "Gabby Account" and he'd spent consistent time in prayer since then. He knew he had to tell her about it, but he was afraid of hearing her reaction. And her decision.

"Hey, there, you better be careful. I can see smoke coming out your ears."

Clint looked up from the feed trough he was cleaning to see Sam entering the barn. He grinned. "I know, I know. My brain's been in high gear lately."

She stopped next to him, leaning against the railing. She watched the few cows who were dawdling in the barn, not saying anything else for a moment. Then, "I don't want her to leave Clint. But I can't imagine what you're going through, facing the possiblity of losing her a second time." She looked up at him with a soft, sad smile. "You're still in love with her and you always will be."

"That obvious, huh?"

She shrugged. "Maybe not to some. But to those of who've paid attention, yeah. Especially since she's been 'vacationing' here."

"Think it's that obvious to her?"

"No, not yet. Only because she isn't ready to see it. I know she loves you too, but she's still mourning Austin and coming to terms with the fact that she's carrying his baby. In time, I think she'd figure it out."

Clint sighed. "But will that be before or after she's left Miller's Creek? And you know, me being in love with her isn't my main motivation for wanting her to stay. I just plain miss her. We all do. She needs support. People who will help her put her life back together. I just don't think she's going to get those things the way she could get them here."

Sam nodded. "I know. I agree. I'm just not sure how to convince her."

Clint paused for a moment, unsure he should tell Sam about the money. But who better to tell than her? There wasn't anyone else in Miller's Creek who wanted Gabby back as much as he did except Sam. "I have a little leverage, but I'm afraid to use it."

Sam looked up at him in surprise. "What kind of leverage?"

Clint told her about the bank account and six years worth of pay checks he'd socked away. For once in her life, Sam seemed to be speechless. But it didn't last long.

"Get out! You did what?" she cried with a laugh. "Only you, Clint Jackson. You're nuts."

Clint laughed too. "Yeah, sometimes I think I am." he agreed. "But that's not the point. She needs this money and I'm willing to give it to her, help get her to a spot where she doesn't have to worry about financially supporting herself and a new baby.