Chapter 12

As September faded into October, Clint and Gabby found that Sam wasn't the only one worried about their living situation. Carli and Annie both found ways to question it without appearing too nosy. Annie even offered to have Gabby and Jackson move back in with her now that Alan and Trish were both off at college.

Gabby and Clint took it in stride, assuring everyone that it had been discussed and all was under control. And it was. There were occasions when it was hard to leave the other, to continue living separately with the other so close. But they made it work, both committed to protecting each other and the relationship.

By the time Halloween rolled around Jackson was two and half months old and had gained four pounds since his sudden arrival. Gabby and Clint dressed him up in costume and took pictures for her family and the Reeses. Annie absolutely loved it when they stopped at her house to "trick or treat". She fussed over them and pulled her camera out for pictures.

"Mom, we already took a bunch with the digital camera. We'll make you copies." Clint offered.

"What about a family photo? I want one of all three of you."

Gabby handed her their camera. "Nope, but you're welcome to take one."

Annie eagerly sat them down on her hearth and proceeded to snap a few photos. "Oh, these came out great! Have a look."

Clint took the camera back, humoring his Mom with a nod and an offered, "This is good. We'll have to frame it for you."

Gabby let her gaze linger on the screen, studying the photo. It looked like any other typical family picture, except that they weren't the typical family. She looked up at Clint, watching him and Annie fuss over Jackson. Someday, maybe, they would be a "real" family.

* * * * * * * * * *

Jill called a few days later to say they had gotten the email of Jackson's photos. "Evie called me as soon as she saw them. I hadn't even checked our mail yet!"

Gabby laughed. "Clint and I made prints for everyone to keep."

"Great! Evie will love it." They chatted a bit longer about Jackson and then Jill asked what Gabby's plans were for Thanksgiving. "We'd love it if you came to New York for the holiday. Rene and Micah don't know what to do with all three of you gone. And everyone wants to see Jackson, of course."

"Have you talked to Paula and Garth yet?" Gabby asked.

"Yep. Kirk and I offered to send them plane tickets. It would be nice if you and Clint could be here too."

Gabby paused, unsure what to tell her mother. "I'll have to talk to Clint. We haven't really discussed the holidays yet. I'd love to come see you guys and Bob and Evie. I just want to make sure Clint would be okay with it."

"You mean celebrating with Bob and Evie?" Jill asked, as if reading Gabby's thoughts.

"Well, yeah. Our situation is so complicated. We're a family, but not really, and there are so many grandparents for Jackson."

Jill chuckled. "That poor kid's got more relatives than he'll know what to do with. But don't worry about the Reeses. They're okay with Clint. They understand your decision, sweetie. They want to see all three of you just as much as we do."

"I'll let you know." Gabby promised.

When Clint came home a bit later, Gabby approached him about the holiday. He seemed totally fine with it, as if he'd been expecting the question. "I already told Mom it was a possibility. And I want to give the Reeses every chance we can to see Jackson."

"Oh." Gabby responded, a little surprised. "Well, then, I guess I'm the only one who's still a little unsure about it all."

"Unsure about what?"