Chapter 6

"Gabby, I am not letting you go out on horseback in your condition."

Gabby snorted, hands on hips, as she stared at Clint. "In my condition? I'm pregnant Clint, not ill! I'm perfectly capable of riding a horse."

"I just don't think it's a good idea -"

Gabby cut him off. "Sam!" she bellowed.

Sam emerged from the tack room with a "You rang?" The bemused smile on her face said she had already heard what was taking place.

"Would you please tell Mr. Caveman that a woman can ride a horse while pregnant?"

Clint scowled which amused Sam even more. "A woman can ride a horse while pregnant." she told him. Then she turned back to Gabby. "However, I got the same treatment when I was pregnant and didn't win this argument."

Gabby groaned. "Come on Clint! You need help. You aren't going to cover this whole ranch by yourself by sundown."

"Then I'll take Thane with me."

"Thane is busy. I'm going."

"No, you're not."

Gabby clenched her teeth and closed her eyes. She'd forgotten how stubborn Clint could be. She stalked over to the phone hanging by the tack room door and dialed.

"Who are you calling?"

She hit the speaker button just as a voice answered. "Dr. Messimer's office. How can I help you?"

"This is Gabby Reese. I have a question. Would it be safe for me to ride a horse at approximately 12 weeks into my pregnancy?"

"Yes, Gabby, that's fine. We only recommend no horseback riding during the last trimester."

"Thank you." Gabby answered. She hung up and turned to Clint. "I'm going." Then she headed for Biscuit's stall and started to saddle up the mare. Gabby studied the blackness of her mane as she worked, listening to Clint and Sam murmuring in the aisle. It felt good to work out her irritation while she concentrated on saddling. It had been awhile since she'd done this, but it all came back.

"Just like riding a bike." she told Biscuit as she slipped on a bridle and tossed the reins over the saddle horn. She turned to see Clint leading another horse, Thunder, toward her stall.

"You're taking Sam with you." he announced, his tone indicating he wasn't arguing about this decision. "And you'll be taking a two-way radio and my pistol. Sam knows how to use it since I'm assuming you're a little rusty."

Gabby nodded. It had been a while since she'd done this. But a gun of some sort was necessary. You never knew what you would run in to out there.

"Check in with me often, let me know what you're finding. And please, be careful."

Gabby took the radio and put it in her saddlebag, leaving the pistol with Sam's horse. "I'll be fine Clint. I promise."

"Alright, I'm ready. Let's get this show on the road." Sam called, walking up next to Thunder. She had changed into a warmer jacket plus hat and gloves. She gave Clint a reassuring smile as she stepped into Thunder's stirrup.

Gabby mounted Biscuit and followed Sam from the barn. She glanced back at Clint to see him watching them as they headed south along the fence row.

Once they were out of ear shot Sam gave a small laugh. "I can't believe he let you ride Gabby. I forgot how stubborn you could be."

"Me?!" Gabby cried. "What about him?"

"Both of you." Sam amended. "And you realize he's just trying to keep you safe? He'd never forgive himself if something happened to you or the baby on his watch."