Terrible Things

Based on the song: "Terrible Things" by Mayday Parade.

Son, I am going to tell you how love works. How true love works. I am going to tell you about this beautiful woman, about her soft blue eyes and rosy cheeks. Her hair flowed in waves of ebony, thin lips of pink and her skin like sweet peaches and cream. By the time I was your age, I met the most wonderful woman of my dreams. She had seen right through me, she had called me out on staring at her when I first met her. She had told me with a honey-sweet voice that she knew I was in love with her.

I am not sure how much time had passed then but a sweet, darling moment had happened. Perhaps it was months later, I told her I couldn’t live without her and I gave her the greatest thing life could offer. A chance to have her by my side, I gave her the circle of marriage. By the minute or perhaps by the year, things began to rush forward and before I knew it, she was pregnant with you.

Now son, please listen closely because I do not want you to make the same mistake. The beautiful woman lay in bed, red drenched over her tired body and she told me not to worry, that she would always love me. Son, life did a terrible thing. It took away your mother from us but I hold on to you in hopes you will stay with me.