Waves (Chapter 4)

Tuesday June 4th

School was so boring. And it seemed to take forever. Most likely because I couldn’t wait to see Jake. Science was the slowest class to date. It’s the most boring class and it was the last class of the day. I couldn’t seem to figure out anything. Of course being gone for two weeks didn’t help either. Good thing Kim was in there to help me. She’s really smart, but when it comes to guys she is the most annoying person you will ever meet.

After school I went to get a frappuccino. I went to where I was supposed to meet Jake I decided to kill time by reading the jokes in the paper. I had about a half hour to waste, when suddenly Tom showed up. “Aren’t you supposed to be on a date?”

“It’s not for another half hour.”

“Oh man. I was hoping you were stood up.” I glared at him. “Don’t worry, if he does I’ll pound him.” that made me laugh. Although he probably would beat him up. We talked until Jake showed up.

“Hey Lindsey.” he said.

“Hey.”

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah,” I got up and turned to Tom. “I’ll see you at home.” He ignored me and walked straight over to Jake.

“Hey, I’m her brother. There’s one thing you need to know,” Wow, for once he was being serious. It was kind of creepy. “You break her heart, and I’ll break your face. Got that?”

“Tom!” I yelled at him. “Stop that!”

“Yeah, I got it.” Jake said when Tom took a step closer.

He backed off. “See ya, sis.” he said and walked away.

“Sorry about that.”

“He’s kind of creepy.” lowering his voice

“He’s just an over protective big brother.” I explained.

We got to the beach and we were jumping waves. “Is he always that way?"

“No, he’s actually a nice guy. He just doesn’t know you yet. You should come over sometime and help him with one of his puzzles. I think you two would get along.” He looked at me to reply but before he could say anything a wave came and knocked him over. I laughed at him. Every time he tried to get back up another wave would come and knock him down again. That just made me laugh harder.

Later we made a fire and roasted marshmallows. “You got marshmallow on your face.” I said as my marshmallow caught fire. I couldn’t blow it out so I flung it into the ocean.

“That uh…pain thing, how often does that happen?” he stuttered

“Once a week maybe.” I shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal. Then my marshmallow caught fire again.

“Hold it farther away from the flame. It’ll turn out like mine, perfect.” he said putting it in his mouth. Then his eyes got huge. “Hot though.”

“Wait a few seconds before you eat it then.”

“I can’t wait until summer.”

“How come?” I asked him.

“I get to graduate. Then I get to lounge around the house for three months. Then I’ll get a job and move out.”

“You don‘t have to wait much longer.”

“What do you do during the summer?”

“I don’t really do anything.” I admitted. “I spend most of my time in the hospital. My life is pretty dull.” I leaned back. “My life sucks.” I groaned.

I reached for another marshmallow but realized we were out. I think I wasted to many. “Your life can’t be that bad.” Jake muttered.

“You don’t know the half of it.”

“Well then, tell me.”

I shook my head. “Trust me. You don’t want to know.”

“Try me.” He leaned forward and waited for me to talk.

I bit my lips. I thought a few moments, debating how much I should tell him. “Well, you know how I get pains in my chest?” He nodded. “I kind of have this…condition.” He raised an eyebrow. “Heart cancer.” I waited for a reaction. He just sat there. I poked at the fire with my stick. “I’ve had it ever since I turned four.”

“What is it exactly?”

“Tumors on the heart. It’s rare and I got stuck with it.”

“Can’t the doctors remove the tumor.”

“Tumors.” He looked at me confused. “I’ve got more than one. And no they can’t, if they tried to remove it but it would be really easy to make a mistake and I would die instantly. So I pass out quite a bit.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing? You didn’t give me this disease.”

“I’m apologizing for the other night. If I knew what was wrong I wouldn’t have been such a jackass. You should have said something.”

“Oh, right. That’s a pleasant conversation.” I got up and rolled my eyes. “I can just see it. ‘Hey I’m Lindsey. I have heart cancer’.”

We didn’t leave until the fire went out. “Pretty good for a first date.” he said with a slight grin.

“Yeah,” I nodded, “pretty good.”

“Good enough for a second date?”

I blushed a little. “Sure, where at?”

“Hmm…” he thought for a moment. “How ‘bout I surprise you. Saturday? Eleven, I like to sleep in on weekends. I’ll pick you up at your house.”

“Sounds good to me.” I started up the porch steps. “Can’t wait.”

____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: So*I'm suck at writing, but I dont know, my mind told me to write, so am writing! I realised i use 'commas' alot :S'

what do you guys think?

Now he knows, her condition

Comment/Like/Vote