Slug&Daniel (Chapter 8)

Chapter 8

Monday & Tuesday June 17th & 18th

When I woke up I was back in the place where I spent most of my life. The hospital. How depressing. I looked around the room. Jake was sleeping in a chair next to the bed. He was the only other person in the room. A book fell off his lap and hit the floor with a loud thump. The sound made Jake wake up. “Lindsey!” he said when he saw I was awake.

“Hey.” I said as I sat up. “How long was I out this time?”

“It’s Friday. And it’s almost four o’ clock.” there was a long period of silence. I counted the days in my head. Five days. That’s how long I was out. Damn it. “I have a plan.” he broke the silence.

“A plan for what?” I asked totally confused.

“For saving you, that’s what.” I was still confused. “Elves are supposed to have healing powers. The best healing powers ever known. So when you get out we can go see them. They should be able to help you.”

“How do we get there?”

“Well…we have to cross the dead lands.”

I stared at him. “Where the ogre lives? Have you lost your mind?”

“You could die next time. And I don’t want that to happen.”

I considered it for a long moment. “Fine,” I agreed. “I’ll go. But you do know there is a chance of dieing.”

“We won’t die.”

“I certainly hope we don’t.”

I got out the next day. We got in the truck and drove to the woods. When we got through the tunnel we saw Trash.

“Hey guys.” he called out. We walked over to where he was standing. “What are you two up to?”

“Going to the kingdom of the Elves.” Jake said.

Trash’s eyes widened. “You know you have to cross the dead lands to get there?”

“We have to heal Lindsey’s heart cancer.”

Trash crossed his arms. “I see. And how do you suppose your going to get there?”

“We’ll fly.”

“No, no, no. You fly and those harpy’s will be on you quicker then a house cat on a mouse.” Trash scratched his beard. “I can take you. It’ll take longer but it’s safer.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Sweetheart, I’m always sure. Believe me, I’m 387 years old.”

“387?!” He doesn’t look that old. He looks like he’s 27 or something like that.

He nodded. “And I’m still young.” He gave me a wink. “And I want to come. The elves are wonderful people. Get on.”

We climbed onto trash’s back. Then we were off into the woods. “How long does it take to get there?” I asked.

“It’ll take a few days.” He hesitated before asking. “How long have you had this heart condition?”

“Ever since I was four.”

“What’s it like?”

“Like someone is squeezing my heart with their fist. It’s hard to breathe and I black out.” I coughed and they both froze. Then they realized I was fine so Trash started walking again.

About fifteen minutes of walking in the woods we ran into the password trolls. “Hey, I remember you.” said the Mohawk troll.

“Will you guys get out of our way?” Trash said.