0.6

"I'm here for you." He muttered, his voice gruff. I tried to pull my arm from his grip but he only tightened it.

He was different from the Trem I once knew. He was much older, much more rough and much less human.

"Fuck it Trem, let me go." My anger started to flare too, my voice raised.

He seemed to take no notice. He held me against the tree trunk, pinning me in place.

The first hit caught me off guard and I'd have doubled over if it weren't for his iron grip. I dry heaved as his fist connected with my stomach.

The second caught my jaw and I had to blink away the stars that danced before my eyes.

Then he switched moods, starting to kiss my neck softly and I recoiled, managing to push him away.

"Fuck off Trem."

He shook his head and I saw his eyes glazed over with some sort of raw vengeance. I tried to merge into the base of the tree as much as I could but failed to do so.

He started to advance and I cowered, begging him not to come any closer.

He laughed, a loud, crude sound that I felt right down to my bones. And then, something clicked and I felt it.

It felt as if something had stirred and awoken; and in that moment, I felt powerful. I felt the darkness; I could feel death, the shadows and I grew powerful from it.

I got to my feet and Trem stared at me before making his way over.

But he never made it. Because a command that was even incoherent to me escaped past my lips and got to him before I could.

"Sruge, et Vincet."

Shadows slithered along the ground like snakes, before stopping before me, merging onto one another to create a solidified figure. A single shadow silhouette of a human stood before me. There were no definite features to it, just a bold outline.

Trem's eyes widen as he sees this and he starts to stumble backwards.

"You're not supposed to be able to do t-that-"

Before he could say anything else, the silhouette shatters as if it's been struck and for a moment, shadow shards with jagged edges are suspended in the air; they shine when they catch the light and even though opaque when solidified, they were now translucent and gave the appearance of black diamond.

And then, time unfroze and they flew towards him at increasing speed, and within a blink of an eye had impaled him.

Trem staggered backwards, his eyes widening as more shards impaled him.

Then, he collapsed to the ground, unblinking, unmoving, void of emotion. I started towards him and then stopped myself from doing so. I was frozen in shock, unable to process what had just happened. The shadows disapparated, yet Trem's body still lay before me. Whatever had just happened had taken a mass amount of energy and I slunk to the floor too, my head in my hands.

I stayed that way until I could feel the presence of another and only then did I lift up my head to face whoever it was.

Kit stood there, a mug in both of his hands, looking down at me, then at Trem.

Exhaustion had overwhelmed me and the last expression I saw on Kit before I gave into slumber was not fear, but acknowledgment.

"Do you want something to drink? Something to eat? What've they done to you, I'm going to kill them Marlow, I'm going to make them pay for hurting you." Eli vows, fussing around me, checking to see if I was okay.