2.7

His eyes flashed a deep yellow before settling on a cold icy blue. His hair changed from the roots upwards, bleached a platinum white. His eyes locked on Ethan.

It was clear that Resplendence was his dominant side as his transformation was more to the light.

He threw a beam at Ethan.

"Look what you've done." He growled.

Ethan laughed bitterly, stumbling backwards.

He continued to throw beams at Ethan until he hit the wall. Kit then dropped his beams. He walked upto Ethan, grabbing him by the collar until they were face to face.

Then to my utter shock, he punched him. In the stomach, once.

From my place on the floor, I sat up, flinching as his fist collided with Ethan's cheek. Gradually, his hair returned to a dark brown, eventually to a black and I thought his Resplendence was over.

Oh boy, was I wrong.

Although I couldn't see his eyes, I could feel my darkness drain from me.

He slowly slipped into Necrosis.

Ethan's eyes were wide with fear now; he couldn't hide it anymore.

"Christopher, listen to me." He stuttered, the use of Kit's full name sounding foreign. If Kit was this inhumane during Resplendence, his Necrosis would be unbelievable.

I watched on.

"Are you going to touch her again?" Kit snarled to Ethan, who shook his head vigorously.

"N-No. Never-ever again."

Kit released his grip on Ethan's shirt and Ethan relaxed.

A gasp escaped my lips as I realised that is exactly what Kit wanted as he threw a punch at Ethan again. Simultaneously, shadows erupted from behind him, forming dark navy tendrils with pointed ends.

A loud crack could be heard through the room on the impact of Kit's shadows and his fist, as they collided into Ethan. A hand shot to my mouth, stopping me from yelling.

Ethan fell to the floor, wheezing. Blood seeped through his shirt and his face had started to swell.

His breathing was irregular and shallow.

Kit stood still for a while, his breathing laboured. It soon returned to normal and he finally turned to face me.

His eyes were filled with tears.

"Princess.." He started, "I can explain-"

"Don't you even dare think of coming close to me." I whispered, my voice cracking. Tears filled my own eyes, my mind in a state of anger, confusion and disappointment.

He never really loved me. I voiced my thought out loud.

"No, princess, that's NOT true." He immediately replied. "Please, just let me explain-" His hands went to his hair, as he clutched it in frustration.

I got to my own feet, stumbling backwards, steadying myself when Kit rushed forward to help me, holding a hand out to prevent him from doing so.

"Stay away from me, Kit."

He rubbed his face, tears everywhere now.

"Princess, it's true that at first, I wanted to be the only one who could harness both sides of the powers. They fed me lies, telling me how if you ever uncovered your powers, you would be more powerful and you would take me out immediately. I was scared, Princess. I was scared of losing. But then after I met you, I came to know you, your flaws, the way you silently pray when you see an ambulance crossing with blue lights, the way that you're so delicate with everything, the way that you're so pure, I couldn't possibly THINK of looking into those beautiful eyes of yours as they slowly dimmed and lost their light."

I shook my head, tears falling free as I took in what he just said. I couldn't trust him. Everything that he'd told me was a lie, why should I believe him now?

"How?" Was all I managed to ask. He knew what I was asking. He knew I was asking how he uncovered his ability and how he managed to harness necromantic energy.

"My parents. They- They were peaceful people, loved by everyone. Both were Resplendent. Never liked or acknowledged the divide between the dark and the light, always said that one couldn't exist without the other.

Halloween '14. The air was bitterly cold, leaves of autumnal colours scuttling along the pavements, leaving the trees bare. I went trick or treating with a few of the kids from my neighbourhood. Returned back to my block in time to see a kid, a little younger than myself at the door. He was amongst a few others, but something about him felt off.

I saw my mother's hand reach into the bowl of candy, of every colour of the rainbow, princess. I saw the smile on her face as she congratulated each child on their costume. I saw each one of the little one grin, thanking her before walking away. Then I saw that kid. When she held out her hand to give him the sweets, he grabbed her wrist.

She dropped the bowl. I was a house or so away, but nothing had sounded louder. I heard her yell for my father, pulling her hand away from the kid. She stumbled backwards from the doorway and I lost sight of her.

Dropping everything that I held in my hands, I ran as fast as I could. I found her collapsed at the door, having some sort of seizure, the veins from her wrist slowly turning black as whatever it was travelled upwards. Father kneeled beside her and had her head resting on his lap.

"Get help, Christopher." He was all he said as he rocked back and forth.

It was too late, princess. Mum had passed away and I had stood there, watching every single thing that happened.

A week later, we had the funeral. And whilst I stood there in the sunlight, Princess, I thought about how everything seemed all right in the world, but that nothing really was. I stood there, mourning my mother, furious with myself that I did nothing to stop him.

Then I saw him. He stood in the back, not wanting to be noticed, but I saw him.

Before I knew it, he was cornered. In my rage, I unlocked my Resplendence, watching as he slunk to the floor, lifeless. I felt something stir within me. I felt his darkness. And that's when I knew. I knew that it was a Necromancer that had killed my mother and that I would not stop until each and every one had been wiped out Princess.

That was, until I met you."