Chapter Three- Options

Tigre- Options

Today started off with the prediction of a really rubbish 24 hours- the magic 8 ball never lies- and as usual it predicted right (I think it might actually be magic or something). Serefk’na was, once again, in a bad mood. Now Serefk’na very rarely gets into truly bad moods so when Serefk’na is in a bad mood we know it must be something serious and that the good idea would be to stay away and not attempt to pry into her business unless we have a death wish, we didn’t even ask about the hat that she was wearing again.

Of course that brat Delilah- not being her friend- wasn’t aware of this rule and as I don’t like her very much I felt no obligation to warn her or even be slightly concerned as to her welfare. I just wished we had popcorn to eat while she failed spectacularly to get her revenge for what had happened yesterday. She slammed her hand onto Serefk’na’s desk. Serefk’na slowly put down her book and glared a challenge directly into Delilah’s eyes, which is an unnerving experience for anyone. We watched as Delilah’s resolution slowly faltered and puttered out, like an old car coming to a gradual stop as it ran out of gas, although to give her some credit, she did attempt to stare her down.

However as Senka and I knew would inevitably happen, less than a minute later Delilah was blubbering in the corner and Serefk’na was continuing to stare daggers at nobody, she seemed to be angry with the very oxygen in the air on that particular day. I can’t see how that can’t be taken as a bad sign and naturally I began to wonder what the air might have done to tick her off, which was a very interesting and unusual train of thought.

It was soon after that that Miss Barbant came into the classroom. She noticed Serefk’na staring daggers at the wall- apparently accompanied by knives, guns, missiles and an atomic bomb or two judging from the intensity of the glare- and paused only for a second, apparently wondering how a wall could possibly succeed in making anybody that frustrated. After a second she realised the true intensity of Serefk’na’s ‘irritation’ and backed off immediately, you know the person is scary when even Miss Barbant knows to avoid them in a bad mood.

When it was finally time to go to class she didn’t move. Miss Barbant shuffled over to her, standing directly before her line of vision; my friend continued to stare straight through her. Our teacher seemed perplexed; I guess that was due to the fact that Serefk’na is not made angry easily, so our teacher was not accustomed to her being in such a mood.

“Are you feeling okay Serefk’na?” she asked.

She started in surprise, as if only just realising that there was someone standing in front of her and blinked up at our teacher.

 “Sorry?” she asked.

“I asked if you’re feeling okay,” repeated the teacher.

“Oh” said Serefk’na, “It’s just a migraine, I had one yesterday too.”

Miss Barbant nodded before ordering her to visit the school matron, she told Senka to go with her to make sure she was okay and asked me to let the teacher know where they’d gone.

When Senka arrived at her lesson from the nurse’s office she came back alone and told me that apparently Serefk’na had been running a temperature and been sent home, I treated the news with disbelief, Serefk’na had not seemed that ill.

The rest of the day was relatively peaceful after that, the only slightly strange aspect was the supply teacher who taught our geography class: she had bright pink hair. I was surprised that the school had chosen to hire her and supposed that our usual teacher had been forced to take the day off at the last minute. She kept glancing towards the desk that Senka and I were sitting at and smirking slightly, as if she’d already taken a dislike to us and decided we were probably going to perform badly during the lesson. I could have sworn her eyes were pink as well; it must have been a trick of the light.

In total the day was mostly pretty boring, I guess because Serefk’na wasn’t around for me to annoy and Senka seemed deep in thought, although she was probably just trying to come up with a comic to draw or wondering what was for dinner, that would be just like her. Me, well, while I am obviously deep in thought too, I am at least doing my schoolwork, sort of.

*** 

Okay, so maybe there is a chance Serefk’na is ill after all, maybe. We came home from school to find she’d locked herself in her room and was refusing to come out. We- as in Senka and I- called through the door to ask if we could come in to see her, but apparently that question wasn’t even worth a reply. This slightly annoyed us because if we weren’t even allowed in, how could we annoy her? We did consider ramming the door down but we couldn’t for four main reasons:

1.     We didn’t know how to find a shop that sells battering rams (which is unlikely anyway) or make one.

2.     If we did we wouldn’t be allowed to go out and buy or make it.

3.     We couldn’t afford to buy one or tools to make it.

4.     Last of all we wouldn’t be able to afford repairs for the door, which the ‘fosterers’ would undoubtedly charge us. 

Senka did have the bright idea of us ramming the door instead of the battering ram but that was also quickly discarded for three main reasons:

1.     We still wouldn’t be able to afford repair costs for the door.

2.     Ramming the door down could cause us serious injuries; it might not even work anyway and….

3.     If we did manage it, it wouldn’t change the fact that we would have injured ourselves and in our weakened condition Serefk’na would probably beat our brains out with her desk chair for disturbing her. She was in a bad mood after all.

This is why we had to make do with being bored. We attempted to annoy each other, but it turned into a full out war of who could knock the other unconscious with a hard-backed book first, which is the kind of thing that usually transpires when Serefk’na- the ‘sensible one’- is not there to ‘reign us in’, so to speak. We were lucky that we were interrupted; otherwise without Serefk’na there to stop us one of us could have ended up in a coma… it was fun.

Did you know that some foster carers give detentions? Well we have known that since our first day here which was almost a year ago now. My detention count is 362 days, which is one detention every day. That is including my birthday, other people’s birthday’s, Christmas and the New Year! I am currently in detention no. 362. This time I am serving it with Senka; much like a prison sentence.