Chapter 9

Quinn sat on the floor like a kid playing with legos as she wrapped Zach's birthday present. She had managed to find NBHD wrapping paper with little upside down houses and other symbols from our Neighbourhood home boys. God only knows where she found that. Probably Wal-Mart. The boys have gotten pretty big. They sell out arenas for their tours now. One day I hope Prodigy has the amount of success they do. Them and the other boys of course. One Direction has been popular for longer than I can remember. 2010, and It's been a little while now. So much success between these two.

"Nikki?" Quinn called from the floor. I looked at her, asking with my expression what she wanted. "How do you know if you're in love?" I stared at her, completely weirded out by her question.

"Um," I said suddenly, realizing she was waiting for an answer. "I really don't know." She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes.

"But... Yes you do." She told me.

"But I don't," I said, confused as to what she was trying to imply.

"But you and Jesse."

"But what?" I said, my voice raising slightly.

"Nevermind," Quinn said quickly, knowing she'd said too much.

"Quinn Palmer, if you don't tell me, I will beat you with this wrapping paper," I threatened. her eyes widened, and she leaned backwards an put her hands up to shield her face. She looked genuinely scared, which made me regret saying that, especially to someone like her.

"Okay, It's just that Jesse kind of really-"

"Jesse what?" Jesse poked his head through the door, sounding alarmed.

"When did you guys get back?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Like ten minutes ago," Jesse said, still on edge. Whatever Quinn was about to share must've been hella personal.

"Jesse," Quinn called.

"Yeah?"

"Whatever you do, don't let Za-"

"Hey guys," Zach pushed the door open more.

"No!" Quinn ninja rolled over the fully wrapped present so that he couldn't see it.

"That's no way to greet the birthday boy," Mikey said disapprovingly, coming up behind the two standing in the doorway.

"Happy birthday to you," Quinn began to sing weakly from the floor, still curled around the present.

"Anyway," I laughed, walking out of the room. "Come with me," I grabbed Zach's arm and led him away. "So how is the birthday boy on this fine dope evening?" I said, trying to use his californian slang. He looked at ne blankly before awkwardly replying.

"Fine. But.. don't... Don't."

"I do what I want to. I make the rules around these parts,"

"Who's birthday is it?" He asked sassily. And this is America's true white girl. Besides Katie. I over exaggerated rolling my eyes at him because it was necessary.

"So how long were you guys behind the door?"

"Long enough," He said, his expression more distant than smug.

"Oh shit," I said seriously, realizing what his expression meant. I had been about to ask what Quinn had been about to say about Jesse, but that could wait three minutes.

"So why doesn't Quinn ever talk about her past?" Zach asked in a low tone, his eyes narrowed. "Why doesn't she talk about her parents or her family? Or basically anything from before she auditioned for the X Factor?" I looked at the groud, not meeting his eyes.

"I can't say."

"Nikki,"

"Listen, Zach, I really can't say." I hardened my gaze and looked him in the eye. I don't know how he had managed to figure out as much as he did. Nobody talked about Quinn's past. The only people that even knew were Callie, Dylan, and I. Katie unfortunately had the big mouth reputation.

"Nikki, please."

"No." I walked away, leaving him there and walking over to Bryan, Zayn, Jeremy, and Jesse, who had also joined the other three on the couch. I watched him walk back to Mikey.

"So I'm worried about those two," I said, sitting down next to Jeremy.

"Who, the lovebirds?" Zayn asked. I nodded.

"If I'm honest, I don't really like or want them together." Jesse said unexpectedly.

"Why?" Jeremy asked, confused. "They seem like they really make eachother happy."

"I just think that she's changing him."

"What do you mean?" Bryan raised an eyebrow.

"Haven't you noticed? Zach is different around her. He barely hangs out with us anymore, he's always with her. They're so different than eachother that sometimes I really wonder why they like eachother. She's all innocent and disney-like, and he's all... Us, you know what I mean?" He said, motioning to Himself, Bryan and Jeremy.

"Are you trying to say that she brings out his sensetive side? Because that's not necessarily a bad thing," I said.

"No, I just think that there's someone better suited for her than Zach." Jesse explained. "And the same for him." He added quickly.

"You're talking about Liam," Jeremy realized suddenly.

"I'm completely on Liam's side,"Jesse clarified. "And I'm not trying to slam Zach or anything."

"Liam is a lot more like Quinn.." Zayn said, weighing the similarities in his head.

"Sure they both like disney a whole lot, but is there really anything else?" I asked.

"Well he likes her a lot," Bryan offered.

"That isn't really something they share in common," Jeremy backed me up.

"Thank you, Jeremy." I said.

"So, is it party time yet?" Quinn asked, skipping over. Jesse looked at me as if to say, see my point? And soon we were joined by the birthday boy, Harry, Dylan, Mikey, Niall, Katie, Liam, Callie, and Louis.

>>---------------> <---------------<<

Ok A/N There's a new Zach fanfiction that I'm writing. It's called Alaska's Ocean. You should def go read the description bc its p rad and you should comment if you want me to write it. Love you guys!