Chapter 13

"The logpose will soon be ready to show us the new direction. That's why we need to find a bigger boat." Ace answered when shae asked why he was spreading out all their money on the table.

"The sea is going to be way rougher the more we go further, and that little boat we are in right now won't make it without severe damage." He started counting the bills and stacking them to piles.

"I haven't seen any ships we could buy aroud here." Shae responded.

"I went on a stroll while you were asleep this morning. On the other side of this island there is a small boat seller station. They don't have big ships, but just what we need. Fast, solide, not too attention seeking."

"They must be very expensive since you seem to pile all our money up now."

Ace quickly looked up to her and gave her a little smile:"The price is okay."

"So we are going there later?"

Ace nodded without interrupting his counting.

Shae sat at the table in the tiny cabin they had on their little boat, as she watched ace for a while. Moments after she decided to go outside for a bit. She didn't know for how long she wasn't going to see land after today. As she was walking outside ace asked where she was going.

"I won't go far, I just need to get some fresh air." Although he looked kind of worried, he responded with a sighing "okay".

"But be careful..."

She jokingly frowned:"I won't blow stuff up I promise."
As she left the cabin she could hear ace chuckle quietly.

Now shae was walking along the shore, her thoughts and her mind travelling somewhere far away. She stopped and gazed upon the ocean. As she held her hand up the sunlight left little sparkles on her skin. Today wasn't too hot, and she deeply enjoyed the slight warmth upon her skin, and the wind softly combing through her hair.
Just in that moment something seemed to disturb her relaxation and her expression hardened. She turned her head around and observed her sorroundings. There was nothing.

It must've been the wind...

Only now she realized, that this was exactly the way she's been feeling the past years, before she met luffy and ace again.

I've been alone for too long.
I guess just right now I'm about to give it all up. All the hiding, all the fear. I'm so fed up with it.

Shortly after shae decided to head back to ace, and when she was almost there, he was already out walking towards her.

"There you are." His eyes light up when he spotted her. "Let's go, I think we'll be able to move on tomorrow morning."

Shae nodded and followed him, walking beneath his side. They were heading to the opposite direction shae came from, but ace stayed near the shore. He seemed very relaxed at this point.

"Ace?"

"Hmm?"

"We...we haven't talked much about blackbeard yet. I mean, what will we do when the time has come?"

"Not we, but I. I don't want you to participate in what I'm going to do." His tone was rather harsh, as always when he spoke of blackbeard.

"You can't just have me standing there! Ace, I know you need to kill him. And I know that he is strong, that's why you have to do this, right?"

"No that's not why I have to do it."

"But wh..."

Ace apruptly interrupted shae by stopping and grabbing her by her shoulders. Shae sharply inhaled. He deeply gazed into her eyes, which made her a bit uncomfortable. His gaze seemed to burn upon her skin

"Shae. Listen. What is going to happen, will happen, and I will do it and you are not going to change anything about it, nor will I put you in danger. Just let it be okay?"
Shae heavily breathed by the coldness in his voice. She didn't say anything, just stared at him, wide eyed.
Ace now seemed to notice how he was dragging his nails into her shoulder, and he instantly let go of her. He almost looked scared now. And as his breathing and his temper calmed down after a few seconds, he just stared at the ground.

"I...I'm sorry shae. Are you hurt?"
He worringly checked her shoulders, where there were now little reddish traces to be seen.

Shae just shook her head and shortly said:"Come on, let's head further."
Shae knew how he must've been angry about blackbeard, but she didn't know that he was this sensitive about the topic. She decided not to speak about it in the next time.

He nodded and they quietly went on with their way.