Chapter 1

"Come on Jax, we don't have much time, Mom will be home soon." I yell to my brother, my eyes darting around the room, "Get Hazel too."

Today, we are going to the city. I've been there many times, but this time I'm taking Jax and Hazel.

"I'm coming April! Jeez, I can only move so fast!" He yells down the stairs to me.

"Hurry. Mom will be home soon." I yell to him, "If she gets back before we leave, we can't go!"

"April, what's so important?" He says poking his head down the stairs.

"I'll show you if you hurry up!" I yell to him.

Hazel comes running down the stairs. Her sneakers sliding against the wood.

"I'm ready!" She says in her squeaky voice.

"Hurry up Jax! We're waiting on you!" I yell.

"I'm coming right now." He says as he flies down the stairs.

"Ok, let's go." I say.

I grab a bag off the shelf and pack it with bread, our most supplied here at the bakery. I look at Jax as I stuff the food in.

"She'll never notice." I say before throwing the bag over my shoulder, "Come on you two."

Hazel grabs my hand and we walk outside. We cross the field towards the bright city lights. Jax looks at me concerned as he realizes where we are going.

"Are we going to the city?" He asks.

"What do you think?" I whip around and say.

"April-" He starts to say, "Whatever, you won't listen to me anyway."

"Exactly." I say sarcastically.

My brother isn't very smart, but when it comes to doing the right thing, he is all over it. He never ever does anything wrong.

"April, I don't like this idea." He says.

"Lighten up a little." I tease.

"Where are we going April?" Hazel asks me.

"Were going somewhere special. Somewhere fun." I say.

I lift her up and rest her on my shoulders. She giggles and pats my head.

"I'm taller than youuuuuu!" She sings over and over.

We cross through the woods into a large clearing separating the city and the meadow. I hear the singing of the electrical fence at least a few meters away. I take Hazel off my shoulders, and set her down on the ground.

"Now how are we going to get over?" Jax says as if proving a point, "Nice going April."

He breaks a branch off the tree in front of us and swats the grass.

"The thing is we don't have to get over it." I say.

"What? Stop talking noncense April. We have to go over it!" Jax says stopping in his steps.

"We go under it." I whisper pointing to the hole under the fence.

The singing of active wire shuts off. It's 6 o'clock. The fence is only powered in the daytime, because no one dares to go into the woods at night.

"Anyways, the power is off." I say slipping myself under the fence, "Come on!"

Hazel follows me quickly, Jax is weary, but decides to follow.

"Welcome to the City of Chicago."