Chapter 22

I try to close my eyes, to just fall asleep, but can't. I don't get any sleep at all. I toss and turn constantly. I lay in my sleeping bag, watching the stars twinkle above me. Suddenly, I hear rustling coming from somewhere around me. Almost instantly, I am up on my feet, bow in hand, ready to shoot.

"Calm down tiger. It's only me." Rush says.

"Oh." I say and set my bow down in the grass.

"No sleep?" He asks.

"Yeah."

"Me neither." I whisper.

I look to my left, and Callie is stirring from her sleep. She opens her eyes, which shine in the moonlight, and sit up in shock.

"What?" She says.

She rubs her eyes and smiles.

"No sleep I presume?" She says.

"Nope." Both Rush and I say at once.

"Me either, this place creeps me out. I was barely asleep." She says mid-yawn.

Soon after, both Kira and Jamison are wide awake, sitting on there bags.

"Well, since everyone is awake, we should get moving. We could get ahead of the other teams." I say.

"Sounds good." Everyone says.

"Well, pack up." I say.

We all stand, roll up our bags, and grab the rest off the ground. We stick everything in the pack, and start walking. The moon provides light to watch the ground, but I pull out the flashlight for extra light

We walk until daylight. The sun is high in the sky when we stop.

"I'm thirsty." Callie whines.

I pull the tree-tap out of the bag and tap a nearby tree. It takes a long time, but eventually, water trickles out. Everyone cheers and grabs a drink. I fill the water canteen to the top and set it back into the bag.

"Come on guys. We have to go." I say.

We trudge through the woods. This is entirely too easy. We can't just reach our destination no problem. There has to be a catch to it.

I walk far ahead from the others, to lead the way and keep an eye out for any danger.

I step foward. Noise fills the area around me. I am lifted up off the air. I scream, and kick my legs, pushing against the trap. I hang high above the ground in a net. I continue to scream until my team reaches me.

"Rush!" I scream, my throat rough and scratchy.

Almost instantly, Rush appears from the far side of the clearing. His face is frightened, and he looks around for something to get me down with.

"Rush! Help me!" I yell, grabbing and pulling at the net.

"April!" Kira yells when she sees me.

Kira paces back and fourth, talking to herself. She turns my way, her face puzzled.

"Ok, I have a plan. Duck April!" Kira yells.

I huddle myself together in the net ready for what will happen next. I see Kira dig a knife out of the pack.

"Brace yourself." She says and throws the knife.

First I hear the tear in the rope, then the thud of the knife in the tree. I drop from high above, and hit the ground. Hard. I let out a scream, and grab my face. It's cut slightly, but the pain is manageable. I stand up, and everyone is right at my side.

"Smooth move April." Jamison says.

"Thanks." I say sarcastically with an eye roll.