Chapter 3

Chapter 3

POCAHONTAS

It is still early in the day. The morning fog has has already lifted and the day is already joyfull. I stand high upon my usual thinking spot on the rock ledge that juts out in a blunt and long triangle pointing the the direction the river runs.

I keep thinking about the dream. The spinning arrow. "What does it mean?" I think. The wind blows over the trees and hits me all over, blue and red leaves swirling around me getting stuck in my hair and getting stuck on the hems of my tan dress. I close my eyes and enjoy the smell of the fall air. Lovely.

"Pocahontas!" A shout echoes from below. I look down over the edge of the cliff and I see my best friend Nakoma sitting one of the canoes, her hands cupped around her mouth. "Your father is back! come down here!"

"He's back Flit!" I exclaim to my small, green hummingbird. "Come on Meeko," I say to my raccoon who foolishly shoves the dark red raspberries into his mouth, smearing juice all over his lips.

I start to run down the hill on the other side of the cliff, but i think to myself, "where's the fun in that?" I turn around and sprint over the pointed part of the cliff.

"No! not that...way," shouts Nakoma.

I plummet over the edge of the cliff, the wind whipping through my hair. I bring my hands into a point just before I hit the water and plunge deep into the water.

I look up to see the canoe making a shadow above me and I kick with all my might up towards it and push it over from the side. I surface my head just enough so my nose and ears are poking above the surface of the water and let the water fill my cheeks. Nakoma comes up under the canoe that forms a cave around us. Nakoma coughs."don't you think we're getting a little old for these games?" she says, a stern expression on her face.

That's when I poke my mouth above the water and spray the water from my cheeks into Nakoma's face. She gives a surprised look but doesn't hold it long before we are laughing wildly and splashing each other in the face. After a few minutes we get a little tired of the games and Nakoma says "Help me turn this thing over,"

We push the boat right side up and crawl in one side as Meeko slowly makes his way over the other. "What were you doing up there?" asks Nakoma.

"Thinking," I answer.

I squeeze the water from my hair and Meeko shakes himself dry.

"About the dream again?" asks Nakoma,"Well have you figured it out yet?"

"I know it means something, i just don't know what,"

"You should ask your father about it,"

"maybe I should,"

Meeko pulls Flit from under the water and I don't want to waste any time, "Come on Flit," I say, "Quit playing around, we have to get back,"

Nakoma and i pick up our oars and paddle past the cliff and further up the river to our home. We step out of the boat and shove it up onto the sand by the others at the edge of the village.

I hear my father talking and many all of the others in the villiage have gathered around. Nakoma and I stand towards the back. We can barely hear father speak, but we can hear him well enough.

"The battle lasted from the rising of the sun, until the evening shadows fell," he says," our warriors fought with courage, but none as bravely a Kocoum, for he attacked with the fierce strength of the bear. He has proven himself to be loyal and strong.

"Oh he's sooooooooo handsome," says Nakoma.

I let out a small giggle and sarcastically comment on his stricken face, "I especially love his smile,I turn my attention back to my father.

"Tonight, we will feast in his honor!"

Everyone gives off a loud whoop of joy and disperses. I leave Nakoma and approach my father.

"Daughter," my father says when I approach him.

"Wingapo father," I say.

"Seeing you gives me great joy,"

"I'm so glad you've come home safely,"

"Come with me, we have much to talk about, I want to hear everything that's happened,"

We make our way to our wigwam anf father carefully sets his hat upon the shelf.

"father," I say, "For many nights now I've been having very strange dreams, I think they're telling me something's about to happen, something exciting!" i take his staff for him and put it in the corner. I clasp my hands together in front of me.

"Yes," he says,"Something exciting is about to happen,"

"Really? What is it?"

"Kocoum has asked to seek your hand in marriage,"

He looks so happy but the smile on my face turns to one of confusion.

"marry Kocoum?" I ask. Flit flies into the tent and gives a squeak of approval but meeko who has sneaked in from the hole in the roof gives a look of disdain.

"i told him it would make my heart soar!" he says. He puts his firm hands on my shoulders, and I give him a weak smile in return and pull away to look at Kocoum through the opening in the wigwam.

"But he'so...serious," I say.

"My daughter," says father,"Kocoum will make a fine husband, he is loyal and strong, and will build you a good house with sturdy walls, with him you will be safe from harm,"

"Father I think my dream is pointing me down another path," I say.

"This is the right path for you,"

"But why can't I choose," I am interrupted by Meeko who screeches as he falls into my arms. I laugh at him and look up at my father. He has a disappointed look on his face.

"Pocahontas," He says, "Come with me,"

We step out of the door and make our way to the edge of the river

"You are the daughter of the chief, it is time to take your place among our people, even the wild mountain stream must some day join the big river,"

I stare at the river and hear the birds chirping gleefully.

He begins one of our old folk songs. knowing it all by heart after singing it so many times.

"As the river cuts his path, though the river's proud and strong, it will choose the smoothest course, that's why rivers live so long. They're steady, as the steady beating drum.

Father then pulls a beautiful blue necklace from his pocket.

"Your mother wore this for our wedding," he says,"It was her dream to see you wear it at your own," I move my hair as he hooks the necklace together at the back of my neck.

"It suits you," He says before walking back to the wigwam and leaving me by the river.