Chapter 12

Chapter 12

JOHN SMITH

Bafore I know it, we're back under the giant oak tree. Pocahontas suddenly looks worried.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"The drums," she says, "They mean trouble,"

I listen closely and can barely make out a faint pounding in the distance.

"I shouldn't be here with you,"

"when will I see you again?" I ask as she tries to pull away.

"you can't," she replies,

"Please don't leave,"

"I'm sorry, I have to go."

I understand that she is right. If we're seen together it will only cause trouble. I let her go and she springs to her canoe and paddles vigerously up stream. I stay where I am even a few minutes after she's gone before heading back to camp.

It's late by the time I arrive. The men have alreday started setting up the walls to the fort and rain is starting to come of and on in thin showers. I shovel mud into the edges of the fence to hold it together and in place at the bottom. I'm quiet as can be. I still think about Pocahontas rowing off in her canoe. I dare say I almost feel something special for her.

"Is something wrong John?" asks Thomas

"Why?"

"You've been awfully quiet today,"

"Oh he's just mad he missed all the action!" shouts Ben.

"You'll get your chance to deal with the indians soon enough," says Thomas.

"We'll take care of 'em like we did last time! We shot three we did!"

Suddenly the idea of shooting all of the indians doesn't seem so apealing to me. I imagine Pocahontas laying on the ground, unconsous or even dead. But she'd be to smart for that. It would take us people from England years to catch her, they might not ever catch her at all!

"Oh stop exadurating!" says Jon, "There was only one indian shot and it was Ratcliffe who done the shooting!"

"But that version is no fun," responds Ben.

"Of course, we're all having loads of fun down here while Ratcliffe sits in his tent all day, happy as a clam!" shouts Jon, loud enough for Ratcliffe to hear.

After a while of talking the others are to tired to continue. They fall asleep and I see my chance to escape. I retrace my steps from yesterday until I rech the spot under the giant oak next to the river. I remember the spot I heard the drums coming from yesterday and know I'll have to cross the river. My body armor and helmet weigh me down considerably but The water is only chin deep in the deepest part so I'm able to cross with barely any dificulty. once on the other side I become aware of the dangers I could face if discovered by the indians but I have to do it. I have to see Pocahontas again.